Gun Safe in Basement.

gohring3006

Do you guys have any trouble with guns rusting in a damp basement with the Rod type dehumidifiers in the safe or locker?
The basement is not wet, it never floods, just damp from a shower down there, and when it rains it gets a puddle about the size of a wallet on the floor in one spot. I want to move my safe to the basement so I can bolt it to the floor and the wall....
Thanks

When considering a dehumidifier think first about what they do and how the do it.
1. They remove water from the air
2. Where does it go? (some use a chemical collection system, others hold it temporarily in a tank)
3. Preventing rust is not a matter of simply applying a dehumidifier; it's an issue of how much moisture the dehumidifier can remove over a given period of time and how much of an effect it has on the overall humidity inside the safe. The amount of moisture in the air, relative to the temperature of the air inside the safe, relative to the temperature on the surfaces of the rifle(s), relative to the amount of time the rifle(s) are exposed to that environment are all very important considerations.
Water condensing into a tank in your safe is free to evaporate back into the air.
Water collected in a holding tank must be removed before there is any significant change in ambient temperature.
Water collected into a chemical holding medium (e.g. silica jell) has to be eliminated once the medium is saturated.
Bottom line - the effectiveness of one type of dehumidifier over another in my basement gun safe will not be the same in your basement gun safe.

When considering a dehumidifier think first about what they do and how the do it.
1. They remove water from the air
2. Where does it go? (some use a chemical collection system, others hold it temporarily in a tank)
3. Preventing rust is not a matter of simply applying a dehumidifier; it's an issue of how much moisture the dehumidifier can remove over a given period of time and how much of an effect it has on the overall humidity inside the safe. The amount of moisture in the air, relative to the temperature of the air inside the safe, relative to the temperature on the surfaces of the rifle(s), relative to the amount of time the rifle(s) are exposed to that environment are all very important considerations.
Water condensing into a tank in your safe is free to evaporate back into the air.
Water collected in a holding tank must be removed before there is any significant change in ambient temperature.
Water collected into a chemical holding medium (e.g. silica jell) has to be eliminated once the medium is saturated.
Bottom line - the effectiveness of one type of dehumidifier over another in my basement gun safe will not be the same in your basement gun safe.
So do you think I could run a Golden Rod with a Silica collection unit? My basement is not a rain forest. I would say it's average for a house built in the 50's..

Get one of these indoor temp/humidity monitors. It records high and low humidity so you will know what you are up against. I use it in my camper. Works great.

FearNoWind is right you need know know how much moisture you need to remove from what sq. footage etc. You might need to do the basement itself or just the gun cabinet. Just depends.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Can't speak specifically to the situation you have, however I spent years as a water damage tech so I know a bit about humidity. If you are only trying to control the humidity inside the safe you are fighting a losing battle. I would look for a quality dehumidifier for the entire basement, as well as something like the Golden Rods or whichever for the safe. Even then I would wipe things down and keep a close eye on things for a while until I trusted the setup. Also, if the basement doesn't hold heat well, consider trying to keep it warmer, the big oil radiator style space heaters do a good job fairly cheaply.

I don't think I have a moisture problem. I have my reloading room down there and non of my equipment rust.... Including shell holders that are left on the press or my dies..
I was just looking for feed back on the Safe Dehumidifiers like Golden Rod and Lock Down...

Can't speak specifically to the situation you have, however I spent years as a water damage tech so I know a bit about humidity. If you are only trying to control the humidity inside the safe you are fighting a losing battle. I would look for a quality dehumidifier for the entire basement, as well as something like the Golden Rods or whichever for the safe. Even then I would wipe things down and keep a close eye on things for a while until I trusted the setup. Also, if the basement doesn't hold heat well, consider trying to keep it warmer, the big oil radiator style space heaters do a good job fairly cheaply.

Thank you, this is very good info... I'm going to put a large unit in the basement. But not sure how much it would help. I'm going to get the monitor that Barrelnut was talking about... But I honestly don't think the humidity is any higher than where my safe is now. Which is beside the Bathroom door in my bedroom. I have no rust issues where it's at...
I'm going to put my Pellet rifles in the old wooden gun cabinet in my reloading room and see what happens... I'll know in couple of months I guess... Like I said though I have no rust on my shell holders or dies, so I think I'm good..

concrete will hold and transfer moisture even if it don't look damp. keep safe off ground same reason as hot water tank and furnace couple pressure treated two by fours should do

Have safe in basement and hot water unit let go last year, did catch it quickly BUT still got water in thru unused bolt holes.
Took a while to completly dry the carpet in side with Harbor Fright heat fan then purchased a Liberty SafeAlert linked to wifi, will sent e-mail when ever the door opens and closes or any movement also sends a report every Monday on stasis of the safe Liberty Safes - Accessories - Security and Care - Safelert Monitoring System

Have safe in basement and hot water unit let go last year, did catch it quickly BUT still got water in thru unused bolt holes.
Took a while to completly dry the carpet in side with Harbor Fright heat fan then purchased a Liberty SafeAlert linked to wifi, will sent e-mail when ever the door opens and closes or any movement also sends a report every Monday on stasis of the safe Liberty Safes - Accessories - Security and Care - Safelert Monitoring System
The Safelert is awesome... Probably going to check into that...
The Hotwater tank thing would be a nonissue for me... I had that happen once already and the floor drain is only 3 feet from it. It drained with no problems at all.. The reloading room is several feet from any water pipes or appliances...

If you have the option, I prefer the garage to a basement. Remember, if there was ever a fire that safe will be covered in coals and subjected to very high heat for a long time. I doubt anything would survive inside. However, near an outside wall, in the garage, bolted to the floor. The heat would be much less and a shorter duration. Just a thought, there are some things that can not be replaced and a family gun is one of them.

Jeff

If you have the option, I prefer the garage to a basement. Remember, if there was ever a fire that safe will be covered in coals and subjected to very high heat for a long time. I doubt anything would survive inside. However, near an outside wall, in the garage, bolted to the floor. The heat would be much less and a shorter duration. Just a thought, there are some things that can not be replaced and a family gun is one of them.

Jeff
That is a very good point Jeff...
Maybe I should think this thru a little more..

I don't think I have a moisture problem. I have my reloading room down there and non of my equipment rust.... Including shell holders that are left on the press or my dies..
I was just looking for feed back on the Safe Dehumidifiers like Golden Rod and Lock Down...

Something you might consider when putting a steel safe onto a concrete floor is the accumulation of condensate or moisture between the concrete and the steel bottom of the safe. If the steel is warmer than the concrete it is sitting on then you can cause some moisture build up between the two. When this happens the moisture can not escape and may cause the bottom of your safe to rust. You might consider cutting a piece of plywood the same dimension as the bottom of your safe and get your safe up off the colder concrete floor and bolting the plywood and safe to the concrete floor. This can be even worse if you set your safe up against an outside wall. How do I know - been there done that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts