Gun Rebarrel Wich Caliber

kustomkoatings

Hey guys I am having my CZ550 .308 Varmint worked over by Longshotrifles I am considering different calibers but I am kind of stumped as to wich caliber would be best. I will be using the rifle to shoot steel and targets long range mostly 600 to 1000 yards, I would also like to get my feet wet in competitive shooting maybe fclass, I would like some suggestions as far as calibers go I have given 6.5x284, not to crazy with barrel life (I like to shoot abunch) is there any thing out there that trumps the 308 for versatility and accuracy if anyone has any suggestions I would surely appreciate them.

If you want accuracy, good bbl life and a 6.5, look at the 6.5-47 Lapua. In a 6mm try the 6 Dasher, or the 6-6.5-47 L. These calibers are really starting to shine in 600 and 1000 BR shooting heavy bullets in a 1-8 twist tube. The F class guys love the 6.5 x 47L. The best part is you can start out with QUALITY brass and they are compeditive to over 3000 rounds. Many, many more for hunting accuracy needs.

Heck, even the strait 6mm BR is raising kane in 600 and 1000 br!!! All have the punch to bring down deer sized game at 500 yards with the heavy bullets.

I also have a 6.5 WSSM, but you need to start out with a mag bolt face. Balistics are on par with the 6.5-284.

Gunsmith said 6.5x47 wouldnt feed in my rifle, how does the 6.5 credemore size up against the 6.5x47

I don't understand. But then again, I am not a smith. I do know that all of the above are the same bolt face (which is refered to as a 308 bolt face).

Did he say what the problem is with the 6.5x47L? It is baisicly a 22-250 necked up with a small primer pocket. You shouldn't have any problems that I can see. I know a few guys who rechamberd 22-250's to either 6.5 or 6-6.5 x 47L.

Yep, on board with the reason as to why it wouldn't work. You may want to seek a second opinion from another smith. All the calibers mentioned is what I thought of immediately. The 6.5x55 Swede would be my only other suggestion. You can get the Swede in Lapua brass also, the only kicker is that it is a long action caliber. So if your rifle is long action based and chamber for .308 you can get away with it.

The good old .243 Win. is also a contender with what you are wanting to do. You could get a fast twist and shoot the 115's very effectively at the range you are considering. I have really been eying up the 6mmbr of late. Just makes sense in its ability as a target cartridge. Check out this sight if you haven't found it yet: http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.