Gun Owners: Think Twice Before Posting Pics of Your Firearms

Not unless things have changed recently. I used to have an FFL/GunShop, and I didn't have to send any of the 4473's in until after the business was closed. I was told by a friendly ATF Agent, that when Sear's stopped selling guns, there were something like 7 tractor trailer loads of 4473's that were sent in, and chances of them being sorted and filed to find anything is quite slim. I imagine that with other dealers closing and some big box stores stopping selling firearms, there are so many FFL's being sent in. I have no idea where they can be stored by ATF, much less sorted through to find any particular record of any particular firearm of any particular gun buyer.
Maybe someone who is actively an FFL holder can shed some light on if any FFL's are sent in on a regular basis.

My post was TIC. They don't send them in periodically.

Not unless things have changed recently. I used to have an FFL/GunShop, and I didn't have to send any of the 4473's in until after the business was closed. I was told by a friendly ATF Agent, that when Sear's stopped selling guns, there were something like 7 tractor trailer loads of 4473's that were sent in, and chances of them being sorted and filed to find anything is quite slim. I imagine that with other dealers closing and some big box stores stopping selling firearms, there are so many FFL's being sent in. I have no idea where they can be stored by ATF, much less sorted through to find any particular record of any particular firearm of any particular gun buyer.
Maybe someone who is actively an FFL holder can shed some light on if any FFL's are sent in on a regular basis.

This is what I mean. The sheer amount of paper would be difficult to catalog. NOBODY wants that job. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

However, as stated, many places have gone digital, so keeping that data is going to be MUCH more likely.

There are some big benefits for stores to go digital with the NICS checks. I remember being on hold for way over an hour back after Sandy Hook, just to get an operator to complete a 4473. On the computer you can run multiple checks and just complete them as they pop up. Really frees up your gun store staff.

that is the old way. everything is going computerized

My post was TIC. They don't send them in periodically.

This is what I mean. The sheer amount of paper would be difficult to catalog. NOBODY wants that job. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

However, as stated, many places have gone digital, so keeping that data is going to be MUCH more likely.

There are some big benefits for stores to go digital with the NICS checks. I remember being on hold for way over an hour back after Sandy Hook, just to get an operator to complete a 4473. On the computer you can run multiple checks and just complete them as they pop up. Really frees up your gun store staff.

Thanks for the updated info.

a guy I shoot with works at a fairly large shop here. you fill out the NICS check on a laptop they scan your ID and then hit send within seconds they have a reply then print out paperwork for store records. there is no more long wait times even during this time of crazy buying

My last few BCs were done in less than 30 seconds. What surprised me was having to have a permit to purchase a handgun in order to buy an action.

things are changing fast. the old days of a guy filling out paper work and putting it in a box in their basement are over. everything will be digital and someone will be keeping tract. I can see that when buying an action. I can buy a TC prohunter but not just the action been that way here for a long time

a guy I shoot with works at a fairly large shop here. you fill out the NICS check on a laptop they scan your ID and then hit send within seconds they have a reply then print out paperwork for store records. there is no more long wait times even during this time of crazy buying

Right. Unless the system is down or you are put into research lol

things are changing fast. the old days of a guy filling out paper work and putting it in a box in their basement are over. everything will be digital and someone will be keeping tract. I can see that when buying an action. I can buy a TC prohunter but not just the action been that way here for a long time
The BATF says that if the action didn't leave the factory as a rifle then it isn't a rifle since it could be used to make a handgun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts