Gun Laws

Gun control.jpg

I lived in WA for upwards of 2+ years. Love the place. I live in Southern CA now and feel your pain. It is unfortunate that CA legislation passes and ends up spreading like a cancer.

Wow, I thought we had bad gun laws in Australia, this is worse. At least we can use each others firearms with their permission (oral or written). Otherwise, it seems pretty similar, though we can't use semi autos or own pistols without having a very very good reason and jump through many hoops.

I wish you all luck, the fun police are wealthy and ignorant.

Regarding the quote in my signature below, I cannot think of any way of saying it that would be any more succinct nor as accurate.

In my home State of New York, the people did not pay any attention the the substance contained in the quote as the State government has been shaped since the post Civil war era. In fact, they have chosen to allow precisely what Patrick Henry is warning of in this and other quotes. Hence the state of affairs here.

Many thanks, Bruce. Every little bit helps. I would be willing to bet my whole collection that 90% of the people who vote for 594 have not read it. They are, as I posted on Facebook, voting out of emotion or ignorance. I called the NRA, got put off to someone who did not have a clue, who put me off to someone in Washington who is supposed to be leading the charge here. So far he has refused to return my calls. I am a life member and paid up, but I don't have to keep sending contributions if I never hear from them. Win, lose, or draw, they **** well better be very visible and it better start soon. They are almost inaccessible if you need to talk to them about something. They have an e-mail address, but they have it set up so it won't accept any e-mails. Does this sound familiar?

Teacher,
I dropped my NRA affiliation several years ago when I was receiving up to 26 pieces of junk mail per week trying to sell me insurance, credit cards, and the ilk, all under NRA stamp. I still contribute to the legal fund periodically as a non-member, but felt NRA was becoming somewhat like AARP which receives something like $13 Mil in memberships per year and close to $400 mil in insurance commissions per year and the AARP upper level management eats up a major portion of that in Salaries.

Don't get me wrong, I like and believe that the NRA is a necessary entity, and love the magazine, which I get 2nd hand from other people, but have become rather cynical about their approach to some of the issues out there.

Anyway, I have been informed that group my daughter in law belongs to is considering full page ads in maybe the Seattle times, if they will accept it, and any other papers that they can get to run the ads. I've been forwarding your messages to her so we'll see what happens.

Keep your powder and your Martini's dry!

Bruce

Heck, am not doing for you, doing for everyone, especially me and my family! Wonder what is going to happen when I roll in with my weapons and attitude. Everyone in my family shoots from age 6 up. Standard unit of progression from Pellet rifle, 22, 30-30 and shotguns and then on to their weapon of choice. None of the young'uns fire Pistols until age 16 though.

Hell, we swap rifles and pistols around all the time, just trying out something new, different and maybe better than what we have.

Anyway, going to be busy for about a week, but will check back whenever I get the chance.
'
Bruce

Yes, its coming folks, in every state...join the NRA, or other grass-roots 2nd Amendment organizations. Strength in numbers guys. And, email/write/call your congress representatives. Make noise. Protect our constitutional rights. lightbulb

Yes, its coming folks, in every state...join the NRA, or other grass-roots 2nd Amendment organizations. Strength in numbers guys. And, email/write/call your congress representatives. Make noise. Protect our constitutional rights. lightbulb

Amen! gun)

If you are going to win this, it is going to be a matter of "positioning" the issue.

We tend to think of this as only a second amendment issue (and I don't disagree with this), but it risks appealing to only a specific audience.

In a more liberal state like WA, I think part of the key will be to position it among the "rights of the individual", not just "rights to bear arms".

Somehow, you need to associate and connect the idea of gun ownership with "rights" that the left side of the political spectrum can understand.

For example, that segment tends to be fairly pro - marry anyone and pro-abortion. I know it is a big step for many people, but even if you don't believe in those things, if you can somehow associate the idea that "gun rights" are just another "right of the individual like - marry who they want, etc."

I am not saying that I promote those concepts, I am just saying that if you want to keep the segment of voters from "taking away our rights", then they need to see that this law is the equivalent of people wanting to take away the rights that they perceive as important.

When I visited Seattle a few years ago, I was actually pretty surprised how extreme some people there actually were, but it was more a mob mentality than based on real knowledge. We see this around here in the San Francisco area all the time.

What seemed to work for me, was to go hang out in the coffee shop (or bar + grill) and just casually engage people who came in, ask what they were up to, and just start talking about how concerned you are that politicians are trying to take away "peoples rights", like voting rights, marriage rights, seizing private property, and even basic things like how you use a gun a the range.

Get them to think about the typical gun owner as no different than someone who plays golf. Peaceful, working on self-improvement, a hobby. That way they think of it as more of a left wing - white collar activity rather than something that strange people do.

What matters is getting the right laws passed, and the wrong ones dropped, not if the person voting has some other non ideal social views.

Initiative 594, which passed with 60 percent of the vote!

Read more here:
Washington State Gun Control: Voters Approve Ballot Initiative To Expand Background Checks

It looks like we lost it..... Unreal! I guess it's time to break my window and report all my guns were stolen. **** and I really liked those guns.

Honestly... I'm just going down to Cabeia's to buy a scope because I have total faith in our law enforcement. I'm sure they'll get my guns back.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts