Gun cleaning confusion

triton20

Okay, now I am confused. I read on one of the forums about accuracy and that cleaning of the barrel could affect same. The forum indicated that the zero would change after cleaning. I have always had the habit of cleaning my gun after using. I use a copper wire brush, then bore cleaner, the light coat of oil after cleaning. Is my zero going to change now??? It seems to me if this is true, I don't want to clean the barrel until after hunting season. Can anyone provide the straight scoop?

Okay, now I am confused. I read on one of the forums about accuracy and that cleaning of the barrel could affect same. The forum indicated that the zero would change after cleaning. I have always had the habit of cleaning my gun after using. I use a copper wire brush, then bore cleaner, the light coat of oil after cleaning. Is my zero going to change now??? It seems to me if this is true, I don't want to clean the barrel until after hunting season. Can anyone provide the straight scoop?

On some rifles a fouling shot is required after cleaning, some will shoot great without a fouling
shot so you have to find out which one you have and then just be consistent each time (If you
clean the rifle and the zero impacts the same spot after 3 to 5 shots then you are good to go.

If it changes after the first shot(Clean cold bore) and drops in the next 3 or 4 shots then it is best
to shoot a fouling shot, and then go hunting and if you have to clean because of weather or time,
just shoot a fouling shot and you are ready.

One of the reasons I prefer stainless barrels is that you can shoot them,dry patch them, and
continue to hunt for several weeks without fear of rusting/pitting the barrel.

The guys that do one shot, one kill zero with the first shot in a clean cold bore. After all it's
the first one that counts any way.

J E CUSTOM

I have not seen much of a change in POI on my rifles but it can happen. I have noticed a few things with two of these rifles.

I have a .308 F-Class rifle with a 1.25" bull barrel, that groups real bad after cleaning for the first 6 or 7 shots then settles down and shoots bug hole groups for the next 100 rounds or so.

I have a .338 edge that shoots 1.5MOA low at 1000 yards on the first shot after a good clean. 1 MOA low on the second and 0.5 MOA low on the third. After that it holds its 1000 yard POI until its next clean. (about 30 rounds).

Hope this helps.

I have one rifle that changes POI by almost two inches and it takes about 5 shots to settle back in. I have another that changes almost 1" and takes about three rounds to zero. Both have premium barrels and are very accurate. I always clean thoroughly BEFORE season, sight in, hunt all season, then clean again.
I have also found that the POI change is VERY consistent after cleaning. i.e. 2" left, 1/2" high etc..........Rich

Forgot to mention:
I have not found it necessary to try to remove every bit of copper every time I clean. I feel it is more important to remove the carbon more frequently than the copper. If you have a good smooth bore, the copper will not build as fast. In fact, I have intentionally, of late, tried not to remove every last spec of copper. I may get some argument here, but I feel accuracy is a little better, or at least with fewer fouling shots.........Rich

I'm one of the guys that doesn't feel like you have to strip every single speck of copper fouling when you clean. I use a good solvent and patches, and when I feel like I have gotten maybe 75% of the copper out, I stop cleaning. Most of my guns shoot best with a slightly fouled barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.