Gun addiction !!!

Don't buy 10 guns working your way up. Get something in a large magnum and be done with it.
.300 Winchester or Weatherby, 338 Winchester or .340 Weatherby. Those guns will humanly
kill large animals.
Zeke

Love my 7WSM custom Shooting 180 Berger H-VLD's @3,030fps gets the job done for what I hunt, very accurate and .25 MOA or less all day if I do my part.

Also have a 7Mag. As sated, it's not going to do anything your 7Mag won't. I would definitely go a larger bore as well. At least a big 300 to 338. I certainly understand the new gun itch myself as I'm very itchy......

There I said it I'm addicted to hunting rifles

I'm thinking about adding another gun to my collection and the caliber I'm looking at is the 7wsm for hunting elk in the rainforest of the Oregon coast I'd really like some to here some real hunting experience with this caliber the gun I'm looking at is the tikka so how is the recoil (I refuse to own a gun with a muzzle break so 7mm caliber is about max for me in recoil )here's the list of guns I have on hand I might not even need this
260 Remington
6.5/06
270 wsm
7mm
45/70 (my timber/brush gun)
I carry a 300 wim mag as my go to gun

If getting into big magnums might as well throw in the 375 H&H. Shoot 260 gn bullets and recoil is right in there with the rest of them. Bonus is your equipped to kill just about anything.

There are probably a lot worse things to be addicted to than hunting rifles. The advice that a 7mm rm will do anything that a 7mm wsm is good advice. But then again wanting a new rifle is never a bad thing. I have a 7mm wsm and have used it on elk. It does a great job. I have been using the 168 berger. That was the load that the builder worked up for it. It shoots fantastic so I've never tried anything else. Sometimes the rifle that a person picks up time and again is more about the rifle than the caliber. They feel it shoots better, it carries better, better balanced etc. Good luck with your addiction and search. Have fun and be safe.

I second the good ol 30-06 in your situation. Probably not going to shoot really long in the forest. I carry a sub-7lb rig and the recoil is noticeable but not bad. A stout 180 gr bullet would be great on them big roosevelts

There I said it I'm addicted to hunting rifles

I'm thinking about adding another gun to my collection and the caliber I'm looking at is the 7wsm for hunting elk in the rainforest of the Oregon coast I'd really like some to here some real hunting experience with this caliber the gun I'm looking at is the tikka so how is the recoil (I refuse to own a gun with a muzzle break so 7mm caliber is about max for me in recoil )here's the list of guns I have on hand I might not even need this
260 Remington
6.5/06
270 wsm
7mm
45/70 (my timber/brush gun)
I thought you said you were addicted? I only count five! Addiction starts at I think 20+ doesn't it Guys? Anyhow.....Anyone of the ONLY 5.....WILL WORK just fine! P.S. if you can shoot the 45/70 a 300 win is a must have for your addictions! Lol

I built a 7mm WSM on a bighorn action and 22" McGowen barrel with the intention of using it on elk size game and smaller out to 600 yds. This fall it did not disappoint, 325 yard shot on a 7 x 6 bull, I put my crosshairs on the shoulder and let her go. The 168gr Berger Classic Hunter hit its mark and he only made it about 10 yards.

The caveat to the 7mm WSM is the lack of quality brass available if you reload (I basically have to use Win brass). Also if you reload, keep an eye on the mag box length. Some of these longer high BC bullets present a challenge in a SAMMI spec mag box.

If I did this all over again it would be a toss up between the 7mm and 300 WSMs. After seeing the reaction of two bulls get hit with 30 cal magnums there is something to be said about the mighty 30 cals. I think my long term plan is to have a 300 PRC or something for elk size game and larger. Then find a pet load for the 7mm WSM with a 135gr-150gr bullet to use for deer size game.

The 270 WSM would be bad *** too. The 270 & 7mm WSM are among the most underrated calibers IMO.

I thought you said you were addicted? I only count five! Addiction starts at I think 20+ doesn't it Guys? Anyhow.....Anyone of the ONLY 5.....WILL WORK just fine! P.S. if you can shoot the 45/70 a 300 win is a must have for your addictions! Lol
I think my addiction started about 10 guns in when I realized almost any one of my rifles could do what I needed. 40 rifles in and counting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.