Guide to Hunting First Aid Kit

FWIW, you can use FSA money to buy first aid kits and supplies. End of the year is almost here and things are going on sale, so….

I carry an Adventure Medical Trauma kit and have a bigger GP kit in the truck. My hunting isn't in very remote areas, though.

I normally don't subscribe to the obligatory "get training" that everyone seems to apply to every shooting discipline, but first aid is an area where this absolutely applies. I would highly encourage those trekking into the field to consider a AHA BLS course or even more advanced trauma options if you are planning on carrying more critical emergency gear. Also advise assembling your own kit so you know exactly what is in it.

I see people mentioning tourniquets, but which one are you using, and can you access it and apply it to yourself fast enough before you lose consciousness from an arterial bleed?

People mention chest seals, but if you get them on, how are you going to treat/prevent tension pneumothroax if you are alone in the woods?

NPA/OPA's - if you are really going this far, do you know how to size them to the patient and how to/when to use them? Nobody wants to regain consciousness with an OPA in their mouth that no one knows needs to be taken out.

Infections and broken bones are bad, but hemorrhaging, airway problems, shock, and hypothermia are going to kill you before those are.

Chest seals? Do we need those? I carry them…..wish I understood them better.

Chest seals basically serve as a one way valve in the event you or someone else has a penetrating chest wound which punctures a lung. When you breath in, air enters the lungs and the chest seal suctions against the external wound, sealing the chest, and allowing you to create the negative pressure to inhale. When you breath out, positive pressure pushes the seal out, allowing air to vent so you can replace the air in your lungs. For a hunting situation, getting shot by a negligent hunter, getting impaled on a tree branch, or mauled (antler) are probably the most likely reasons you would want to carry one. The problem is after their application, air can fill the thoracic cavity surrounding your lung and cause it to collapse and even put pressure on your heart and intact lung. That is tension pneumothorax which will kill you as well if not treated with a catheter which involves sticking a thick needle between your ribs. If you have ever seen the movie Three Kings, there is a fairly decent depiction of this with Mark Wahlberg's character using a bit of older treatment technology.

To brcfo_outdoors' point, if you are going to carry a decompression needle you absolutely need training on how to use one. You could just as easily kill someone with it. Most places won't even sell you one without a certificate of training.

To brcfo_outdoors' point, if you are going to carry a decompression needle you absolutely need training on how to use one. You could just as easily kill someone with it. Most places won't even sell you one without a certificate of training.
I agree. Don't take my desire to learn about chest seals and decompression needles as any knowledge about them. Im just a guy seeking training. Stop the bleed soon, CPR next, but probably need more trauma care next.

A very good Small First Aid Kit to take care of small things, goes a long way to start with. A cut or wound is dirty to start with. If carrying a day pack it will only hold so much to start with. Items inside the pack can be sub for item needed for large scale wounds. Most of the time if you need to split a broken leg or arm there are stick that a laying around on the ground or close too. Shirts can be use as pads to pad a brake. Tee-***** can be used for several items. The main thing is use your head to think about what can be use there at the time. Now I have a big first aid pack in my pickup, but that would fill a day pack up. So there isn't any room of other items that need for the day or to hike.

A Combat Field Medic 1969 Vietnam.

I live and hunt in Australia, we MUST have a compressible bandage long enough to go the length of your arm or leg….why you ask?
Because every step in the bush is a potential SNAKE BITE here.
I have stood on, urinated on and spat on more snakes than I care to remember, they are never seen until it is too late, luckily, the 2 bites I have received were dry bites (no venom). I am especially lucky, I do 2 things that I see many animals, not just the ones you want to see. I fish and hunt. I have seen more platypus and echidnas in the wild than most people will ever see. I pride myself that I can be fishing or hunting and not intrude on such creatures that they are oblivious that I am even there.
My first aid kit has numerous stuff, but I always have medical glue and steristrips.
In fact I have first aid kits in my large backpack, my daypack and my car.

Cheers.

I agree with the need to carry a CAT tourniquet, and practice applying it with each hand, because you may need it on the opposite arm.
I carry one in my truck, my day pack, and my Ranger UTV. The one in my daypack is in a clean plastic bag. I removed it from the original tough packaging because it would be too time consuming to remove it with one hand when the other is severely traumatized. You might have only 60 seconds to get it applied in a rapid bleeding situation. And don't waste time trying to undress the injured extremity.

I've been required to do First Aid/CPR training for work for close to 20 years and it is definitely valuable having the repetitions of the training. Probably the best part is realizing how much the change the chest compression/breaths ratio, makes you realize the exact number is probably not that important as long as you are doing them.

I've had some generic first aid kits, some other ones I've cobbled together on my own, sometimes using expired stuff out of work First Aid kits. I carry quite a bit of expired stuff in my bird hunting vest for taking care of dogs too.

This year at my new job we actually had trauma training involved in our annual pole top rescue/bucket truck rescue (Electrical Lineman). I've always wondered why tourniquets were not recommended or taught in CPR, I now realize they should have been. The fear of someone losing a limb is not worth letting them bleed to death. I decided to carry a more advanced kit in my pack and am going to get a larger one to carry in my truck at sometime too.

That's what I carry in my pack, it's small and has a lot in it. I think North American Rescue or some company like that makes that kit, it's about the same price either way.

There are a lot of injuries you can survive in the wilderness as long as you don't bleed out, have an allergic reaction or get hypothermic. Get some training and get a kit that works for you.

It is common knowledge that every hunter must always fully prepare before going on a hunting trip, including being equipped for emergencies. In this article, we discuss everything you need to have in your first aid kit: Hunting First Aid Kit https://ebikegeneration.com/blogs/news/a-beginner-s-guide-for-your-own-hunting-first-aid-kit
The biggest thing that Wilderness First Aid will teach you is making the decision based on communications, conditions, capabilities present at your location on whether to shelter in place and await rescue or to travel to assistance because injury/condition makes time to full treatment capable facility LIFE critical. The rest should be focused on stabilization to await rescue or to prepare the injured for successful transport out.