guide tipping ?

The tipping "standard" used to be 20% of what the hunt cost.......meaning what the outfitter charged. Most outfitters will acknowledge some sort of percent that they feel is standard.

If you're satisfied with the quality of the hunt, and you had shot opportunities, hopefully filled your tag too........Then the guide deserves your tip. If you filled your tag early and the guide continued to show you around and be entertaining or helpful........they most definately deserve a good tip.

The guides usually can't control the lodging or the accomodations, especially if they are working for an outfitter, and they cant gaurantee you'll hit what they put in front of you. But they should have a good idea of what is considered a trophy or above average for the area and they should be getting you within reasonable shooting distances of good quality animals.

This is coming from a 30 yr guides' perspective, I've never hired or paid a guide myself. Folks who buy guided hunts all the time may have a different opinion.?

SBruce

Where do you guide in WY?

Only deer and antlelope, but from SW Natrona County to central Weston County over the years.

Mostly NE 1/4 of Wyoming. Alot of that on family property in SW Weston County. First person I guided was my 4th grade teacher when I was 10 yrs old.

Last few years I have gotten out of the "fully guided" end of it. Oil companies pay me well enough that I dont have to guide anymore, and the fully guided stuff started taking too much time out of my personal hunting seasons. Most recently I am only doing semi-guided stuff on the family ranch. 12-15 Antelope hunters and 8-10 deer hunters per season usually.

This season is a well below average year; terrible dry, hot and windy summer proceeded by a couple years of low game numbers. Took the G&F 2 years to cut tags, but we should start balancing out again. It'll take a few years for the herds to replenish though, and that kinda assumes Mother Nature cooperates with some rain and not too harsh of winters..............Alot to ask for in Wyoming!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.