Guide Recommendations for Colorado

rolltide

Hey guys,

I'm trying to gather some information about guides in Colorado. I'm going to take my dad and one of his friends on an elk hunt and they both really want to hunt in this state. I've never used a guide before and would like to hear of some of the guides that you would recommend.

This hunt won't be all long range, as my dad's friend hasn't shot much past 250, but dad and I both have shot to 500 yds quite a bit. Because of their age, they're not looking to do the horseback hunts and camping isn't really in the cards either.

I know this will limit the choices, but if you have someone you can recommend, I would really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks,

Chris

Elk guides is a tangled web. Everyone knows someone who is one. ANd I'd bet theres as many bad ones as good ones. Dpends probably too on what you wanna $pend. I would go to Huntingnet.com/forums and 'search' for Coloraod elk guides or something and then read the post as theree will be tons of them. Or callthe DOW in Denver they can point you in the right direction.

I live here and dont/woudlnt use a guide, but I havent kilt an elk, YET. I just rent a hotel room for ten days, get the mulie out of the way quick, and then push hard as I can for elk. Usuallu I hunt alone as I have no friends. Wife hunts 4 days a year for elk with me but thats it. As soon as I buy a new camper trailer I'll get back to real 'elk camp' and get outta the hotel. Click on the foto link below and you cans ee someof the camps I have enjoyed lots.

It hasnt all been bad luck on elk for me tho , I have called in bulls :) , passed on bulls, even passed on a cow cause she was on one mtn I was on the other mtn it was Tuesday... the mtns is empty on Tuesday so I had no help available with ten miles, dang it was a good easy 300yrd shot too. But my day is coming.

Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.