GS CUSTOM, Berger, Barnes TTSX, or Swift Scirocco II

tnhunter211984

i've had other post asking about bullet selction for my new .30-.378wtby. Yea i know its over kill but a gun i've always wanted!!! Anywho's after taking in all others advise i have narrowed it down to 4 bullets... GS Custom HV Bullets in the 160gr. or 173gr, Berger 168gr or 175gr, barnes ttsx 168gr., and the scirocco II in 165gr... i do mostly deer hunting but do go on mule deer hunts every year and will be doing some elk hunting this coming year. any adivse for the all around bullet.

after taking in all others advise i have narrowed it down to 4 bullets... GS Custom HV Bullets in the 160gr. or 173gr, Berger 168gr or 175gr, barnes ttsx 168gr., and the scirocco II in 165gr... i do mostly deer hunting but do go on mule deer hunts every year and will be doing some elk hunting this coming year. any adivse for the all around bullet.

Why the small bullets? Especially when elk are on your hunting schedule. I feel you are making a huge mistake with the little bullets and high velocity. Go with a 210 to 230 gr bullet and let that 30-378 shine.

Jeff

I agree w/ Jeff. Put some 200+ grain bullets in that puppy!

I've been having fantastic results w/ the 200g LRX in my 300 RUM.

--Ben

wont the bigger bullets hurt the meat. like i said i hunt mostly deer. what about the 160gr. or the 173gr. GS Custom bullets or the berger 185 or 190gr.?? u got any data on the .30-.378. This is my first time reloading.

wont the bigger bullets hurt the meat. like i said i hunt mostly deer. what about the 160gr. or the 173gr. GS Custom bullets or the berger 185 or 190gr.?? u got any data on the .30-.378. This is my first time reloading.

With the heavier bullets impact velocity will be lower than the lighter bullets thus damaging LESS meat. Keep in mind meat loss will vary between different types of bullets of the same weight. Shot placement is probably the biggest thing we have control over when trying to save meat. Running light bullets in the 30-378 is like putting regular 87 octane unleaded in a top fuel funny car.

...Shot placement is probably the biggest thing we have control over when trying to save meat....
That about sums it up. You whack a deer in the rump with a 165g bullet from a .30-378 and you're losing enough meat that it might as well have been a 200+g bullet any way.

Plus, shooting the bigger (slower) bullets, you'll most likely extend your barrel life as well.

--Ben

i have narrowed it down to 4 bullets... GS Custom HV Bullets in the 160gr. or 173gr, Berger 168gr or 175gr, barnes ttsx 168gr., and the scirocco II in 165gr... i do mostly deer hunting but do go on mule deer hunts every year and will be doing some elk hunting this coming year. any adivse for the all around bullet.

1. shoot a bigger bullet. meat damage mostly due to bullet TYPE/design/speed
2. berger destroys meat
3. barnes, in my experience, causes least meat damage
4. scirocco is excellent bonded bullet and meat damage is minimal
5. I suggest a minimum weight of 180
6. I recommend a 200 grain bullet
7. GS custom almost same as Barnes so stick with Barnes

Never had issues with Bergers and meat loss, I think they are about an ideal balance of killing capability, accuracy and meat loss. I would grab a box of 230's hand down!!!!

1. shoot a bigger bullet. meat damage mostly due to bullet TYPE/design/speed
2. berger destroys meat
3. barnes, in my experience, causes least meat damage
4. scirocco is excellent bonded bullet and meat damage is minimal
5. I suggest a minimum weight of 180
6. I recommend a 200 grain bullet
7. GS custom almost same as Barnes so stick with Barnes

Yeah, what he said, especially the Barnes plug. Awesome accuracy potential as well!

For what it is worth, with the velocity potential you have, you absolutely must use a bullet of good construction, and put even better, heavier then what you have mentioned. ( been there, done that BTW). Yeah, it will amaze you when you shoot through a chronograph. But, one of the two following things ARE going to happen. The bullet will grenade on impact, resulting in a HUGE flesh wound, ( and a tracking job ), or you are going to damage so much meat, the waste will be a shame.
I used to shoot a 300 RUM, and bullet selection and speed were always something to be considered.
Good luck in your choices.

Meat loss comes first from poor placement. Then it greatly depends on velocity so the bigger bullet do less destroying meat with the poor placed shots. I won't go into bullet type, but if you don't recover the animal till the next day or not at all that is a 100% loss in most cases. This is why I like watching them fold up in my scope and stay down and why I shoot Bergers.

Jeff

The 160gr to small.......Bah. People kill elk with a .243. Also as to Barnes being nearly the same as GS........another.....Bah. Barnes is a grooved copper bullet, GS is a BORE RIDING copper bullet, no where close to the same. I have shot all the bullets named in the list in different calibers, the GS Custom is the best bullet,but you must pay the price. If you shoot the 160 GS in a 30-378 you are looking at a 160gr. in the close neighbor hood of 3600. That will pole ax an elk at 400yds. and a mulie or whitetail a lot farther than that.........my .02

The 160gr to small.......Bah. People kill elk with a .243. Also as to Barnes being nearly the same as GS........another.....Bah. Barnes is a grooved copper bullet, GS is a BORE RIDING copper bullet, no where close to the same. I have shot all the bullets named in the list in different calibers, the GS Custom is the best bullet,but you must pay the price. If you shoot the 160 GS in a 30-378 you are looking at a 160gr. in the close neighbor hood of 3600. That will pole ax an elk at 400yds. and a mulie or whitetail a lot farther than that.........my .02

Ba HAAA, the GS HV bullets are "drive banded." So close to the same that there's no recognizable difference when you walk up to your dead deer. The GS is a great bullet, but not worth the expense when the Barnes, a clearly similar bullet will render the same outcome.

An elk can die from a bullet launched from a 22-250. All you have to do is deflate the lungs and bleed it out. I agree, the 243 has been used to kill a lot of elk. So? I agree a 160 grain bullet is plenty for elk, but I suggest and still recommend a bigger bullet in the rifle the OP is using because he can.

Yes,They are drive banded also known as a bore rider, sir. Evidently you have never tested the GS against the others over a chrony. Here is another for you,sir. I will send tenhunter a GS Custom and you send him a Barnes for his 30-378. He can take a wooden dowel after he starts the bullet in the bore,and drive it through with the dowel and a wooden mallet. Then he can do the same with your almighty Barnes and when it hangs in his barrel. You pay for the removal, better yet put one of your own rifles up for the test. Then tell me how much the same they are. I have shot loads in my 7stw with 80grs. of powder. with a 140gr GS and a 120gr Barnes over the chrony and the 140 GS is faster,due to less friction, and thats 20gr more bullet, sir..............now thats my $1.00 worth on that one.........Do some research...........AND TESTING>......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.