GS CUSTOM, Berger, Barnes TTSX, or Swift Scirocco II

I have never killed anything with Cutting Edge bullets, but they sure shoot nice in my 300. They are machined monolith's with NO bands cut into bullet, they also, form my experience, run a few fps faster than Barnes or other monoliths.
You might want to give them a try sometime.

i thank ya'll for ya'lls thoughts and views on bullets. i gonna try the GS Custom HV 160gr. and the berger 175gr.... any thoughts on load data and who out there shoots the .30-.378 wtby monster besides me?

Cutting Edge does indeed make a fine bullet. It has the big single sealtite band,and is of the bore rider type. The GS has 5 small bands. Do not mistake the GROOVES cut in the Barnes for bands. It is a grooved bullet not a driving band (bore rider) bullet. The bore riding of the GS and Cutting Edge is the reason for the gain in velocity with the same amount of powder, also LESS friction means LESS pressure................

i thank ya'll for ya'lls thoughts and views on bullets. i gonna try the GS Custom HV 160gr. and the berger 175gr.... any thoughts on load data and who out there shoots the .30-.378 wtby monster besides me?

Contact Mark Thompson at Thompson long range shooting. They use the 180 AB in their 30-378s.

Yes,They are drive banded also known as a bore rider, sir. Evidently you have never tested the GS against the others over a chrony. Here is another for you,sir. I will send tenhunter a GS Custom and you send him a Barnes for his 30-378. He can take a wooden dowel after he starts the bullet in the bore,and drive it through with the dowel and a wooden mallet. Then he can do the same with your almighty Barnes and when it hangs in his barrel. You pay for the removal, better yet put one of your own rifles up for the test. Then tell me how much the same they are. I have shot loads in my 7stw with 80grs. of powder. with a 140gr GS and a 120gr Barnes over the chrony and the 140 GS is faster,due to less friction, and thats 20gr more bullet, sir..............now thats my $1.00 worth on that one.........Do some research...........AND TESTING>......

I don't need to do any testing and I've done the research on the GS many years ago. The GS is a great bullet. The outcome on a game animal is not worth the extra expense over a Barnes, ehrrr, the ALMIGHTY Barnes...lol. Keep shooting your almighty GS customs. It's your money, ehrrr, unnecessarily spent money.

Please do NOT shoot the 175 Berger from a 30-378, it's tiresome to read about guys loading up light Bergers fast then whining about them blowing up or not exiting or other ridiculous stuff. Some very experience guys with that chambering have posted not to load that light a Berger bullet for a reason!!!!

Please do NOT shoot the 175 Berger from a 30-378, it's tiresome to read about guys loading up light Bergers fast then whining about them blowing up or not exiting or other ridiculous stuff. Some very experience guys with that chambering have posted not to load that light a Berger bullet for a reason!!!!

Exactly!!! This is why we recommended you go with heavy bullets. a light bullet from a 30-378 is just begging for a wounded elk. And as for the Baa remarks about how a small bullet will do fine. How many elk have you killed this week?? or in the lat 12 months for that matter? I think we are at 5 for the last 7 days. And that probably puts us at over 2 dozen in the last year.

Thats a 30-378 Accumark the bull is holding up below. I hunted with the 30-378 for several years. What I post is not just something I read on another forum. Little Bergers over 3300 fps is something that will only get you in trouble for hunting. Load up some 230's at around 3000 fps and put them down hard to stay.

Jeff

I got your point,you have harvested elk with your 200+gr Barnes. The fact is I am saying the 160HV will do the job. Yes it is my money to spend as it is yours.Now with that out of the way........cost or not FACT is I shoot the better bullet eerrr.........

Well if you are replying to me your post pretty much sums it up. You are very misinformed. So I will end this now until you get some first hand data or do some more reading.:rolleyes:

Jeff

I'm confident he's replying to me. Looking at the GS Custom price list, many range from $60+ to $81 per box plus a fee to get them to this continent, then shipping and handling. He is correct the 160 will put any elk to sleep in short order. The issue is paying around $2.00 per bullet when it will not produce a different outcome on game, hence, it is no better than most bullets available that are substantially cheaper.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is:
1. was shot placement good?
2. did the animal travel any distance after the hit?
3. did you recover it?

Specific to the "almighty" Barnes, I've seen one action when I shot something with them with many cartridges, and that's is DRT. So, The GS is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist and you pay a pretty penny for no change in outcome. Same can be said for bullets much cheaper than Barnes where the Barnes wasn't necessary. It's all about preference.

Gerard builds a great bullet. But it is definitely not better, it's just different and costs way too much for features that don't provide much edge in a real hunting situation.

I have hunted with the GS Custom HV bullets now for quite a few years. They have performed flawlessly. They kill exceptionally with good placement or bad. Yes I have made some poor shots, unfortunately. But the poor shots teach you a lot about a bullet. Meat loss is minimal and nothing has traveled after being shot. Short range or long range.

This year I am trying the cutting edge bullets and will report back in a couple weeks.

As far as bullet choice for the 30-378, I don't think I am going to disagree with any of the earlier posts. I think your best choice is the 173g GS hv. As for the lead core bullets the Sirocco is the best if it will shoot out of the factory barrel. Any other lead core bullet should be the heaviest that you have enough twist for.

The 200g Accubond will most likely shoot well, they seem to shoot out of most every rifle.

Again my vote is for the 173g hv will run out of the 30-378 will run them around 3600 fps and they will be good for almost every animal on the planet.

My .02

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts