Grouse Guns?

angus-5024

What do you use? I grew up pickin the heads off with a Cooey ranger (.22 LR). Times change and I have tried 4/10's, 20's and 12's. I have been looking hard at a 20 guage o/u (something cheap like a mossberg silver reserve), but cant justify the cost when my mariner 500 does the same job.

So all you hard core grousers, what is your choice aff gun and guage, or are you a rimfire type?

P.S, I shoot them on the ground or in the air, I dont care if they're on the wing!

For forest grouse; I like my Savage 24S, 22lr over 20 gauge when walking solo. If I run a dog or go with a partner I take my Huglu 20 gauge o/u.

Shooting with 3" high brass, #6 or 5 shot and Mini-Mag 36gr HP.

I would go with my 28ga 1100. Just FYI shooting any bird on ground with a shotgun unless it's a cripple is poor sportsmanship Birds are easy enough to shoot in air. I have & do shoot some on ground with a rifle. I gave up 30 years ago shooting any rabbits or squirrels with a shotgun just to easy & no chance for the game animals.

typically I shoot the ones on the ground with a rifle, but if all I have on hand is a shotgun, so be it. I hunt them for the table fair, so after I have a dozen or so in the freezer then I start being more picky with my rules of conduct. I understand the reasoning behind the "only on the wing" rule, but for me I dont get out enough as is and I preffer more birds in my freezer.

I am torn between an .22lr/20gauge over under; because then I have whatever the situation calls for, or a 20guage O/U and pack a seprate .22lr. Its always fun going for head shots only. I had used a 4-10 for years, but as soon as they are on the wing, you just cant knock them down very well. In fact I have only ever lost a bird with that gun.

Greyfox, I would be divorced and down one appendage if I bought a Fox XE!

Kind of sounds like you are stuck between "finesse and freezer" and you really like the challenge of a head shots.

Using 22lr/20g o/u and 20g o/u is like fly fishing. Its a passion/sportsman kind of thing.

For meat in the freezer, 12 gauge pump with heavy loads make hunting more like going to the grocery store. You might have to walk down more aisles, but you're coming home with food.

You already have a 500; get the 22 over 20. It's rewarding to use and the freezer will still fill up.

After you use it for a season or two. If your not enamored with its prowess. Sell it and buy and o/u 20g.

I have shot a lot of grouse ruff here in Wis the most was 97 in one season. I have been hunting grouse for 47 years

My frist gun was a model 12 20ga with so tight of full choke I killed most every thing on the 2nd shot use a 870 back then too.

My frist true grouse gun was a savage fox upland special 20ga 24 in barrels lighted to reduce weight to 6 lbs. Right barrel opened up tp throw a wide ovel pattren at 20 yards.

I killed hundreds of grouse with that gun some pheasents shot around 10000 rounds threw it before it developed heads space trouble.

My next one is a BSS 20 ga 26 inch IC/mod killed lot with this also. Still useing it.

I have several others 12 16 and 20 ga guns but the main 2 are above. My favorite grouse load is 1oz of 7.5s at 1200fps.

Just got back from Northern Wi. grouse hunting. The leaves were still on and I used an old Model 12 Win. cut to 24" and no choke and a Model 59 Win Winlite with imp. cyl. tube. My wife shot a Charles Daly Miruku imp and mod. Also took a nice turkey hen while we were there.

The leafs make a hude differants on the amount of grouse one gets to shoot at. With the leafs on one hears a lot of them with out seeing them.

I have a Franchi Renaissance Classic 20 Ga w/28 inch barrels...weighs 5lbs..lightning fast on the point..

I use a Benelli Montefeltro 20, 26". Very light---which as I get older is becoming important. I use a cyl choke. I use the same gun for phezz and change up chokes and shot size.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.