Grouse Guns?

Any Franchi Shotgun made!

127 Ruffed grouse killed last year and this spring in Eastern Ky! I only bought 10 boxes of 12 gauge 7 1/2 Fed shells and have plenty of them left!

I use a Beretta A302 in 20 gauge, sometimes IC and sometimes MOD. Ive never had the opportunity to shoot one on the ground. I only see a few birds a day. Upstate New york

Remmy 870 wingmaster 20g made in 1954. My dad took a zillion grouse/pheasant with it in his youth. I've only been using it for about 10 years, so I'd recon I've only taken a quarter of a zillion with it. I like my Beretta A300 Outlander 12g an awful lot too, but it lacks the cool factor of a beat up, ugly, old, hand-me-down 870.

1100 LT 20 23'' Barrel skeet choke like an old girl friend . unlike an old girl friend the 1100 is just as good as she ever was :)

We are fortunate to live in some pretty good grouse country (NW Lower MI). I carry a Vincenzio Bernardelli Roma 4 20 GA or a Uggi M40 16 bore; both choked SK1/SK2. Hunt over FBECS.

NB

Last edited:
I have not been grouse hunting in a decade, but when I do I have a side-by-side double 20 with shortened barrels which is wonderful for the purpose.

Update: Added another Vicenzio Bernardelli 20 bore, last Christmas. This one has 28" tubes, straight, splinter and weighs just under 6#s. It had hardly been shot and came with a period VB case. Shooting skeet with it each week now getting to know each other. :)

NB

:)
Just got back from Northern Wi. grouse hunting. The leaves were still on and I used an old Model 12 Win. cut to 24" and no choke and a Model 59 Win Winlite with imp. cyl. tube. My wife shot a Charles Daly Miruku imp and mod. Also took a nice turkey hen while we were there.
My model12 in 12 ga. with mod. choke and savage 411 16 ga . side by side duel triggers and it has a fox sterling walnut stock from gun parts inc. I have to go the sierras for grouse and mountain quail.

if i did not get on here right to reply about shooting and eating grouse sorry. hope this works, my all time birds to eat are domestic chickens, and to me the best wild game birds are the chuckers, pheasants and pine hens. ( ruffled and spruce grouses my favorites)

i did not read all the reply's to this topic, but i hope you good folks will enjoy my response to this.

when we were little kids our dad made us up flou flou arrows to shoot grouse with our recurve bows. (a wood arrow shaft with a 357 empty on the end and feathers twisted 360 around the shaft and ruffled up), slowed the velocity down to where we could retrieve our arrows. and also sticks and rocks worked good too.

well my choice to shoot pine hens is the 22lr. in the head, no BBs in the bird and if it gets a way, it is stock for our future. that is my contribute to protecting this wonderful bird, and if i do not get my limit, that is my fault. 86

I use my Rem. Express 870 pump 20 gauge, it kills Grouse, Pheasants, Rabbits, Squirrels and Turkeys with Rem. Express 2 & 3/4 inch # 6 shot shells. I shoot them in the air or on the ground it's all the same when I'm cooking them up for supper.

I use a Winchester Model 21, 20 Gauge, That old gun along with my green felt crusher, and my LL Bean Boots, It just doesn't get any better. Grouse and Timberdoodles Yes

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.