Groups walking to the left?!?!

mtwood24

I am shooting a 7saum with 180 grain hybrids and h1000 powder. During load development I shot a .310 three shot group. Well I went to zero my gun at 200 yards and I shot way to the right, and every shot after moved about an inch farther to the left. What do you guys think I need to do to fix this? Thanks!

I am shooting a 7saum with 180 grain hybrids and h1000 powder. During load development I shot a .310 three shot group. Well I went to zero my gun at 200 yards and I shot way to the right, and every shot after moved about an inch farther to the left. What do you guys think I need to do to fix this? Thanks!

Stop walking to the left as you shoot!!!!

Seriously, a scope issue is likely. If not that you've got something loose on your rifle.

1. Bad scope. 2. Loose scope bases or rings. 3. Barrel rubbing on stock. 4.Barrel turned out of center with the Bore. Operator error or bad bench. Good Luck finding the cause.

The only time I have ever experienced this is when the barrel begins to heat up or my shooting techniques changes. It does not take much heat build up on a sporter/hunting contoured barrel to make significant POI changes especially if it is a factory barrel.

If it were the scope or bases, I believe it would have shown up at 100 with POI being very erratic.

I would shoot again making sure you shoot at 200 replicating the same conditions as you did at 100 for the gun. Again, this also includes shooting technique.

I'd check the stock first, after 5 shots or so check to be sure the barrel is still free floating. I'd check how the barreled action comes out of and back into the stock and if there is any problems with the bedding (pressure on one side). If possible I'd shoot it with a different stock, one of yours or a buddies to see if it does the same thing.

Make sure your scope is not slipping in the rings. It could be moving and causing scope cant, it will show itself the farther out you shoot.

Make sure your scope is not slipping in the rings. It could be moving and causing scope cant, it will show itself the farther out you shoot.

+1. Scope cant. Additionally check that the barrel is free floating with sufficient space between the barrel and stock to allow for barrel heating and expansion. If the barrel fit is snug or free floated with minimal spacing it will be deflected, causing lateral dispersion if this deflection is occurring on the side of the barrel. Check the right side of the barrel channel and your scope.

Good Luck

DocB

there has been a lot of great answers. I do think that it maybe a scope or rings issue. Have you checked the level of your scope? I noticed a walking left on my 7rm past 200 yards, a buddy put on his wheeler level level level and it was indeed canting left. It is now level and I now have no excusses.

thanks everyone, I took the scope off and re-torqued all the base screws and ring screws, action screws. Now it is shooting well again. I put it together my self, it's a savage action, 26 inch McGowan barrel (1-8 twist), he precision m-24 stock, rifle basix trigger, and vortex pst scope. Pushing 180 grain hybrids. Thanks for the help, I was real worried with bear season right around the corner (starts Wednesday)!!

thanks everyone, I took the scope off and re-torqued all the base screws and ring screws, action screws. Now it is shooting well again. I put it together my self, it's a savage action, 26 inch McGowan barrel (1-8 twist), he precision m-24 stock, rifle basix trigger, and vortex pst scope. Pushing 180 grain hybrids. Thanks for the help, I was real worried with bear season right around the corner (starts Wednesday)!!

GOOD DEAL !!!

This is why I am on this site.... You got enough ideas/info to get your gear straightened out with no brawl at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.