groups open after 2 shots

Onesock

I have a Tikka 25-06. Trying toget 100gr bullets to shoot. The first 2 shots are always touching but
the 3rd shot is always 1 inch away. I have tried IMR 4350, IMR 4831, RL22, H4831SC. i have replaced the Tikka stock and bedded the action. I have ran laods fron 10thou jammed to 100 thou jumped. I clean the gun after every outing. Once again with most loads the first 2 shots are touching and the third shot is an inch away.
Ideas anyone?

Shots 3 and sometimes 4 are out and most times shot 5 comes back in. Barrel is cooled down after shot 5.

What happens if you clean in the barrel in the middle of the shooting? Are the next 2 shots touching again?

From what I've noticed a clean barrel will affect point of impact more than a cold barrel will. Although if your factory barrel gets heated it could start stringing shots all over the place. (*could)

I would shoot 10 shots that are loaded identical into a group. You may find that just as many end up being over by bullet hole #3. If that happens it will tell you that is just the accuracy of your rifle/ammo.

You may also want to experiment with how you are holding that rifle. The majority of my centerfire rifles I do not have to hold onto overly tight. I've got used to more of a relaxed hold, but not quiet "free recoil". I have grown to enjoy shooting this way more because it's easier to keep the crosshairs steady. I did have this one rifle though that sometimes acted erratic with the groups. For the longest time I really thought that the scope base/rings or something was loose and shifting on me. Just out of curiosity I tried holding onto the rifle super tight and shot a group of 5. I didn't have much faith in the test. The crosshairs were moving a bit because I was holding onto the rifle so tight. (Which by the way, was the way my dad always taught me to hold a rifle starting 25 years ago). I assumed this would translate to a larger group. However it did not. When I compared targets, the "tightly held" target was obviously the smaller group. And it looked like a group, not a couple good shots along with a couple flyers an inch away. So now I know with that specific rifle, I need to hold onto tighter than my other rifles.

Hope this helps.

Although if your factory barrel gets heated it could start stringing shots all over the place. (*could)

Hope this helps.

My two Tikka's both expand group size after the 2nd or third shots. Always have, unless the rate of shooting is so slow that the barrel doesn't heat up. I concluded the thin barrels on my Tikkas heat rapidly in 7mm Rem Mag, causing the resulting changes in POI.

So as a test measure, I'd suggest letting your barrel cool off completely prior to your 3rd shot. Then see where your 3rd shot impacts the target relative to the first two shots.

unless the rate of shooting is so slow that the barrel doesn't heat up. I concluded the thin barrels on my Tikkas heat rapidly in 7mm Rem Mag

So as a test measure, I'd suggest letting your barrel cool off completely prior to your 3rd shot. Then see where your 3rd shot impacts the target relative to the first two shots.

This, but maybe also try letting it cool completely between each shot and see what happens.

I'm going to go a little against the grain on this one...yet again.
I could argue that since it's a hunting rifle does it need to stack three consecutively fired shots into a tight little group? Isn't the first (and possibly a second follow up shot) the important ones? If it is consistent with the first and second then try cold bore mapping it. I've had issued rifles that would place the first round where I wanted and then group the rest up to 1 moa in one direction or another. As long as it did it consistently then I could have accurate DOPE for it. Not ideal but sometimes your hands are tied. Some call that a cold bore flier, but if you believe in one shot-one kill then the first one is the one that should count. The rest are fliers. Again, not ideal but is doable if you have consistency.
My opinion (take it as that) is you are also cleaning too often. That is unless you fire a crap ton of ammo every range session. However, I don't know the whole story or the rifle in question.

Shots 3 and sometimes 4 are out and most times shot 5 comes back in.

Mine don't settle back in until the barrel is cooled back to ambient... So the 5th coming back in is different than my experiences with my 7mm Rem Mags.

Works fine for me because I rely on the first shot being on the money. I can usually get away with 3 shots. The 4th consecutive shot on mine always starts to open up the group. I've continued testing up to about 8 shots and the only thing that brings the accuracy back is my barrel returning to ambient temperature.

I have a tikka t3 lite in 300 win mag with a fluted barrel. It opens up on shot 3, but by that time the pencil thin barrel is pretty hot. If I keep it cool, it holds just fine. I'm fine with is as this is a hunting rifle and not a rifle to bang steel with. Killed 2 elk with it this year. Both first shot

It's not uncommon for a hunting rifle to nail the first two and begin to slide a bit on subsequent shots.
What interests me is that you say every change you make, regardless of load and seating depth, puts the first two touching on target and those that follow print as fliers. I've never seen a rifle that could do that ... not even on purpose.

Had to float the barrel on my brothers t3 tikka it solved that issue his has a composite stock there where two plastic tits at the front of the stock putting pressure under the barrel we cut them off all is well after that mod

I reread your original post. Stop cleaning the barrel give it 40-50 shots with no cleaning see if it improves. I have an AR that shoots Like crap after a good cleaning for 40 rounds then back to MOA or better. I only clean the copper out if accuracy drops off this takes hundreds of rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts