Grouping to the right - whats up?

tlk

I am getting a solid 0.39" group today, which is very good for me and my stick, but when I look back at my targets in the past I am always about 1" to the right. This even with different powders. What is going on? How can I get tight groups AND have this happening?

Assuming it is not the scope, what am I doing that may need adjustment?

I am getting a solid 0.39" group today, which is very good for me and my stick, but when I look back at my targets in the past I am always about 1" to the right. This even with different powders. What is going on? How can I get tight groups AND have this happening?

Assuming it is not the scope, what am I doing that may need adjustment?

Sounds like you just need a few clicks to the left.

Once you get your load down pat and it's producing the accuracy that you're after then you have to zero your scope by making the necessary elevation/windage adjustments.
When doing load development you shouldn't be concerned with the bullet's point of impact (POI) for each separate shot in a group but your point of aim (POA) should always be the same (i.e. the bullseye) for each shot in that particular group. JohnnyK.

I will make the scope adjustment and find out. The issue is that I have tried to get it sighted in before and was always left with it hitting to the right, even after adjusting the scope, which left me frustrated. Extremely.

In the past it was a result of me pulling the rifle. Been really working on that with dry firing, hand/body/head position training, and some formal shooting classes. My focus this year is to really dial in on me and my skills.

But the question I wonder is this: can I get a group that tight and still be jerking the rifle? I did notice last evening that the rifle is recoiling up and left a little (prone, with bipod and rear bag), so I still need to get straight behind it a little more than what I was, but up and left doesn't translate to low and right - does it?

Thanks for your help.

if your getting under a half inch group at I'm assuming 100 yards I doubt your jerking the trigger . you should be able to adjust the scope to the laeft far enough to make your POI hit left . if you keep turning the scope left and keep hitting right I'd say your scope is faulty . turn your left / right turret to the left about 12 clicks and see if your POI moves to the left roughly 3 inches . if not try another scope . Jim

The problem could be your scope rings? Have you had there alignment checked? Wheeler engineering makes a good scope mounting kit. You can check your scope alignment as well as correct them. I have used there product and must say wow! i thought i had mounted my scope correctly. Wrong! I had one set of rings that i had to rotate one ring completely 180 degrees to get better alignment. The lapping tool makes the rings fit that much better.

OK, here is the update: it is still happening. Scope is good, rings are good. This is crazy, because I got this thing shooting great, and then the groups went horizontal at 100. Like an inch horizontal with the shots lined up in a row. Then it all went right again. AT 400 yards it really starts to show the pattern to the right. BUT - I can dial in the correction and everything is on target. The scope will make windage and elevation adjustments fine, so what am I doing wrong here? One of the things I noticed is that since I have lost some weight my heartbeat is really starting to show up when I sight in on the target. That might explain the horizonal, but where is the consistency to to right coming from? I am currently fighting the desire to go back to 100 and re-sight the rifle - seems like I am getting into a loop of constantly tweaking if I go down that path. Horizontal zero seems to be good at 100, but not the farther out I go. I realize that this is probably a newbie thing and something basic, but I cant get it figured out. Thanks for any help you may have.

Mike, honest question: if parallax is set, how can cheek weld cause this issue? One of the things I have noticed is that when I plant my cheek evidently I am leaning on the cheek pad because my level moves out a bit to left high (cants right). What I do is adjust the left bipod leg so that everything lines back up level. Thought that this would take care of the canting issue that my head is causing, and everyone had this happen. I shoot prone. No bench. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Mike, honest question: if parallax is set, how can cheek weld cause this issue? One of the things I have noticed is that when I plant my cheek evidently I am leaning on the cheek pad because my level moves out a bit to left high (cants right). What I do is adjust the left bipod leg so that everything lines back up level. Thought that this would take care of the canting issue that my head is causing, and everyone had this happen. I shoot prone. No bench. Thanks for your help.

In response to your question, That's what made me think you maybe sighting in off the bench and shooting prone. Not that you were inconsistant at the bench or prone but there was an inconsistancy between the two.
Your second statement maybe more telling though. I'm assuming your shooting left handed from your description ( pressure on the cheek pad causes bubble left high ,cants right ) which means you are imparting clockwise torque to the cheek pad/stock ( otherwise your cant would not be affected ) I would say set your cant prior to getting into firing position and when in firing postion lighten up on the cheek pad pressure such that the cant dosen't change.

MIke

correction_chart.gif

Feenix, thanks for that. Finally got a pic of my phone from my latest range trip:

600ydgroup.jpg

This is at 600 yds. Three shots (one at tip of finger, bottom of finger and to the right - ignore the one by the knuckle, it was from a different day). Measured around 3 3/4". Hopefully this shows what I am seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.