Grouping question

Parallax problems are caused by inconsistent stock weld which misaligns the eye. They are cured by three methods. 1. If the stock is low and/or the scope is high then raise the comb by either an adjustable cheek piece, stock pad or duck tape and foam. 2. Concentrate and practice getting the same stock weld each time so that the eye is properly centered with the long axis of the scope. 3. Once you have a reasonable placement of the crosshairs on the target check the roundness of the blackout and whether the cross hairs are centered in the field of view.

The best thing about an AO scope is that when yo are hunting and must shoot from a really contorted position such that you actually have totally no stockweld the AO compensates for parallax for you.

If you think parallax is not a problem with low power scopes at 100 yards just take a couple to the range and set up one inch grid targets and see how much movement you can get. It is an easy thing to do to educate yourself.

Tang, I didn't really mean to sound like changing from 10x to 14x will shrink your groups by a significant amount. That is a good scope that you have. People make good hits at 1000 yards with scopes of that magnification. With more magnification though, you can be sure that you are holding consistently from shot to shot. When I'm shooting a 9x or 10x scope, sometimes it is hard for me to know if my crosshair is perfectly centered on my aimpoint. Do what bookworm suggested and check for the amount of parallax you can detect at different yardages just to see how important your eye to scope center alignment is. When you shoot that thing at 1000 it will be critical to keep good eye alignment in the scope from shot to shot.

Last edited:
Tang, I didn't really mean to sound like changing from 10x to 14x will shrink your groups by a significant amount. That is a good scope that you have. People make good hits at 1000 yards with scopes of that magnification. With more magnification though, you can be sure that you are holding consistently from shot to shot. When I'm shooting a 9x or 10x scope, sometimes it is hard for me to know if my crosshair is perfectly centered on my aimpoint. Do what bookworm suggested and check for the amount of parallax you can detect at different yardages just to see how important your eye to scope center alignment is. When you shoot that thing at 1000 it will be critical to keep good eye alignment in the scope from shot to shot.

I just said that about the 14x because it is the side paralax knob.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.