Group Sizes: Moly versus Non-Moly Coated Bullets

rodneymoncrief

I am doing my best trying to get away from moly coated bullets because of trouble and time it takes to moly coat bullets. Once you start shooting moly coated bullets you are, for the most part, married to moly coated bullets in that barrel. My question is, I painstakingly cleaned my barrel out removing all the moly, but when I did my groups opened up tremendously. I was shooting a 1 inch group at 300 yards and went to a 2.25 inch group at 300 yards. Same bullet, minus moly, same powder, had to go down 1 grain because of pressure change. Every thing I have read said moly did not effect group size, am I doing something wrong? Should I just go back to shooting moly coated bullets again?

I am doing my best trying to get away from moly coated bullets because of trouble and time it takes to moly coat bullets. Once you start shooting moly coated bullets you are, for the most part, married to moly coated bullets in that barrel. My question is, I painstakingly cleaned my barrel out removing all the moly, but when I did my groups opened up tremendously. I was shooting a 1 inch group at 300 yards and went to a 2.25 inch group at 300 yards. Same bullet, minus moly, same powder, had to go down 1 grain because of pressure change. Every thing I have read said moly did not effect group size, am I doing something wrong? Should I just go back to shooting moly coated bullets again?
Shoot the bare bullets until the barrel gets adapted to the scrubbing you did and it will likely shoot just as well. As you stated, you may have to adjust the load a bit.

Do what I do. Find a friend that will coat your Bullets for you free of charge!

Elks advice is same as mine. Moly reduces pressure. A new load may be required to regain accuracy

I always understood you can't ever get all of the moly out?

Do what I do. Find a friend that will coat your Bullets for you free of charge!

Elks advice is same as mine. Moly reduces pressure. A new load may be required to regain accuracy

I always understood you can't ever get all of the moly out?
I'm seriously thinking about starting back shooting moly bullets, but I was reading too many horror stories about how moly will ruin a rifle barrels. I was also wanting to try a few different bullets and powders, without having to moly coat several different bullets.

I don't have any long term experiments to back anything up but During fireforming my 22 Dasher I had increase the charge weight when using the moly bullets. I only had 50 bare bullets. Also my max load is higher than most ppl have reported.

I have another rifle being built with a spare 22Dasher barrel. I want to shoot bare bullets and compare

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.