Group fliers

Coldfinger

What actually causes a great group to go astray? I've always blamed myself. But it seems to frequent or I just screw up consistently from rifle to rifle! I'm shooting my 270 WSM tonight to see if the barrel is salvageable, pitted leade, was extremely fouled. It's showing some promise. This 3 shot group was 57 grains ofH380 and a 130 grain Berger classic hunter. First 2 shots 1 nice hole, 3rd shot ruined it!

Attachments

• 10AB2C17-BCB6-467B-9694-65819A7A0112.jpeg
    10AB2C17-BCB6-467B-9694-65819A7A0112.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
I would say based on your example, it could be barrel heat causing the 3rd Shot to be off.

Also, H380 is temperature sensitive which could be causing you issues.

Could be your loading process if it is not always the 3rd Shot.

Have you shot many 5 shot groups to verify the load?

Hope you figure it out bud!
Steve

I would say based on your example, it could be barrel heat causing the 3rd Shot to be off.

Also, H380 is temperature sensitive which could be causing you issues.

Could be your loading process if it is not always the 3rd Shot.

Have you shot many 5 shot groups to verify the load?

Hope you figure it out bud!
Steve
Nope just been tinkering with 3 shot groups to see if barrel is salvageable. With Staball 6.5 did the same exact thing but only 1/2" or so flier. H1000 strings vertically with 140 grain bullets got dark before I could push the 130 classics with it. Re19 had a flier as did Imr4350. So far the 2 ball powders have the tightest 2 round groups. Maybe I should try out Len B's post about Berger seating depths tomorrow. I just read it.

From watching and being involved with bench rest shooting those "fliers" most often are operator era. Just a little difference in your cheek weld can cause this. That is why many bench rest shooters use the free recoil method. They set the rifle in their rest the same way every time and the only thing they touch is the trigger and let the rifle free recoil sliding on the, usually baby or mica powdered so it slides free, bag and rest.

Also like has been alluded to, three shots at 100 yards does not really tell you a whole lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.