Grizzly mauling near Yellowstone kills backcountry guide

Wedgy

Be careful as it is that time of the year

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Montana backcountry guide has died after he was mauled by a large grizzly bear that was probably defending a nearby moose carcass just outside Yellowstone National Park, officials said Monday.

Charles "Carl" Mock, 40, who lived in the park gateway community of West Yellowstone, died Saturday, two days after he was attacked while fishing alone in a forested area along the Madison River several miles north of West Yellowstone, Gallatin County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Christine Koosman said.
The male bear was later shot and killed when it charged wildlife workers investigating the attack.

The moose carcass was found about 50 yards (45 meters) from the site of the attack, said Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesperson Morgan Jacobsen.

Mock, who suffered significant scalp and facial wounds, managed to call 911 after the attack and was found after searchers looked for him for about 50 minutes.

He was transported by toboggan and snowmobile to an ambulance before being taken to a hospital in the small city of Idaho Falls, where he died, according to the sheriff's office.

Mock was a guide at Backcountry Adventures, which provides snowmobile rentals and tours in Yellowstone National Park and surrounding areas of national forest, according to the company's Facebook page.

A Montana backcountry guide has died after he was mauled by a large grizzly bear that was probably defending a nearby moose carcass just outside Yellowstone National Park, officials said Monday. (iStock)

A Montana backcountry guide has died after he was mauled by a large grizzly bear that was probably defending a nearby moose carcass just outside Yellowstone National Park, officials said Monday. (iStock)
A fundraising website set up on Mock's behalf following the mauling said he was passionate about the outdoors and a beloved guide for Yellowstone visitors.

Mock when attacked had bear spray — a Mace-like deterrent meant to protect against attacks — but officials said they did not know if he managed to use it. Bear spray canisters have safety tabs to prevent them from going off accidentally and the safety tab on Mock's bear spray was off, Jacobsen said.
The grizzly was killed Friday after it charged a group of seven game wardens and other personnel as they approached the scene of the attack. Several people fired at the animal and it died about 20 yards (18 meters) from the group, Jacobsen said.

Officials said they are confident the bear that was killed is the one that attacked Mock.

The Yellowstone region of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming has more than 700 bears. Attacks on humans are relatively rare but increased in recent decades as the grizzly population grew.

Grizzlies bears have been federally protected as a threatened species outside Alaska since 1975 after being widely exterminated by trappers and hunters early last century.

Hunting grizzlies is not allowed. But lawmakers from Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are trying to force wildlife officials to lift protections so the bears can be hunted.

And another bear spray/repellent success story. If the victim was able to call for help, I presume he was able to push a button on the can of bear spray after removing the safety tab also. Or maybe the bear removed the safety tab...

Yet the NPS will still preach bear spray as THE best option for killer bear protection. And NPS employees that don't preach the company line will be ostracized and damaged.

Bear spray might work on the Walt Disney World teddy bears.

The killer bears? They're thankful for those that carry only bear spray.

Last edited:
Idaho Falls is the closest decent sized facility. Bozeman is about 2/3's as far away and the town is half the size of IF. The hospital in Jackson Hole is significantly smaller. Can't speak to the quality of emergency care at any of them. IF is considered a regional medical center. I've been there years ago and hopefully the care is better now.....
Bruce

We were charged by a grizz while hunting the Thorofare a number of years ago. It happened so fast I barely had time to get my rifle up which was of little use because he was moving so quick. Fortunately my guide already had his pistol out and started ripping off shots. The thing ran back into the timber and we never saw it again. If that fisherman was surprised, he probably never knew what hit him until the bear was on him...

Tough coffee for sure, spring time is a especially bad time to come across a G bear when they have a carcass!

Oddly, that I'm aware of they've only said that he had bear spray. They haven't said if he had used it, and they haven't said where they found it....

One thing that people consistenly underestimate is the need to have split second access to your choice of protection. For me, I carry my G20 in a Kenai holster on my chest and I practice a lot for pulling it out and getting 3 on target as close range. Was just at the range the other night doing so.

Bear spray, if one uses the new holster that UDAP brought out can be on my fanny packs holster and I use my left hand to pop the safety and I deploy from the holster. I don't pull it out, this is incredibly quick.

I feel that the most important thing is to have it at instand disposal!

A bruin can travel at 35 mph, that's something like 45 fps.........crazy

Lastly, I strongly feel that a confrontation with a bruin is a one, two possibly 3 shot affair and if you're going to come out of it (and or want to) it'd better be a CNS hit.

Just my thoughts on a rainy Sunday am, enjoy your day all

In our local papaer they said he had bear spray residue,on him,tab was pulled.He usually packed a 44,and his hand was chomped off protecting himself.Some of this info was relayed threw a friend to the paper I guess

Thats why we front carry The paper said 400 # bruin

Attachments

• WP casc.JPG
    WP casc.JPG
    924.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Interesting to see. I wonder why they took him to Idaho Falls maybe that was the closest? Thanks for sharing
Sad to hear, seems like this occurring more frequently every year. In Alaska on the islands that have good deer hunting it has become common that bears come at the sound of a gun shot hoping to take over the gut pile. If the hunter is still there and by himself, not good. Bears are incredibly fast and strong. A dead one can kill you! Best bear spray is made by Holland & Holland.

If the Dinosaurs were alive i am sure people would protect themselves somehow, Why would people stay in bear countries and not protect themselves its funny and sad at the same time whenever i here stories like these.

The guide should have protected himself better. He knew there was always a risk in running into a bear. Sad feel sorry for his family.