Grizzly captured in Yellowstone confirmed as the region's oldest At 34

Wedgy

This bear's not old, he's just classic.

A grizzly bear recently captured in the Yellowstone region has been confirmed as the oldest on record. The bear had been previously captured and studied, giving biologists a good opportunity to study the changes the bear went through throughout its life.

Officials have determined that the bear was about 34-years-old when it was caught in southwestern Wyoming.

Officials have determined that the bear was about 34-years-old when it was caught in southwestern Wyoming. (iStock)
Officials have determined that the bear was about 34-years-old when it was caught in southwestern Wyoming, the New York Post reports. Due to its advanced age, the bear's canines had been worn down to about three nubs. Biologists believe that the animal had survived off of hunting easy prey, such as calves.
The grizzly bear was identified as Grizzly 168, the Associated Press reports. The animal had previously been captured in 1991 when it was just 5 years old. At that time, when it was caught in the Shoshone National Forest, the bear weighed 450 lbs.
When Grizzly 168 was weighed as a 34-year-old, he only weighed about 170 pounds. Aside from his three canines, he didn't have any other teeth left. He was reportedly first captured in 1989 and the inside of his lip was tattooed with the number 168. The bear was captured and fitted with a radio collar in 1996, but it dropped the collar a year later.

Due to his advanced age and physical condition, Grizzly 168 was euthanized. Officials felt that relocating the animal would not have been the right thing to do.
It is believed that Grizzly 168 fathered several litters of cubs, however. Researchers say it's even possible he became a father as recently as several years ago.

The weight is very surprising to me both at 5 years old and at 34 years old. I would have expected it to have been heavier.

450 pounds is a respectable weight for a Yellowstone area grizzly. Though, there have been some that exceeded 800 pounds. I suspect that 450 is more representative than is 800 for our bears. However, most of us would not fare very well in a hand to paw confrontation with an 80 pound cub! memtb

450 pounds is a respectable weight for a Yellowstone area grizzly. Though, there have been some that exceeded 800 pounds. I suspect that 450 is more representative than is 800 for our bears. However, most of us would not fare very well in a hand to paw confrontation with an 80 pound cub! memtb

Bingo....

At 34 years, he had to be gumming most everything!

I shot a 475 lb black bear in PA a few years ago and always figured that a grizzly bear would dwarf that, I didn't realize they were about the same size.

I watched a 📺documentary once about animal attacks, and one of them was a black bear. I do not recall where it occurred, but a single black bear attacked a kid on a hiking trail, (maybe). His mother came to his aid, and the bear turned on her, allowing him to crawl away. In the next 10 minutes 2 more full grown men showed up minutes apart swinging sticks, (nobody had a gun), and the bear managed to kill all 3 adults before the 4th man (who had a gun) was able to stop it with a bullet. That bear weighed about 200lbs. That really gave me some reference for bear weights.

I watched a 📺documentary once about animal attacks, and one of them was a black bear. I do not recall where it occurred, but a single black bear attacked a kid on a hiking trail, (maybe). His mother came to his aid, and the bear turned on her, allowing him to crawl away. In the next 10 minutes 2 more full grown men showed up minutes apart swinging sticks, (nobody had a gun), and the bear managed to kill all 3 adults before the 4th man (who had a gun) was able to stop it with a bullet. That bear weighed about 200lbs. That really gave me some reference for bear weights.
I just recently seen that same show . We hunt bears here a lot and have several close encounters each year with them . Either while trying to get our hounds out of harms way or they decide to come out of the tree after the dogs put them up it . I can promise any bear over 50 pounds would probably be more than any person would want to mess with . Shoot any of them will bite, claw , scratch, and or outrun most people . Had one last year came out of the tree and hit the ground and just sat there wanting to fight the dogs as we were trying to get him to run , climb whatever he wanted to do he swiped my leg and I thought he would knock me off my feet . If he'd hit me square on the leg I'd say he could have broke it easy . They are solid muscle for sure . Yeah they store fat for winter but it's only for insulation and a reserve to get them through .

I shot a 475 lb black bear in PA a few years ago and always figured that a grizzly bear would dwarf that, I didn't realize they were about the same size.

A 475 pound black bear is well above average black bear size! Though there are some areas, such as yours, that produce some quite large black bears.

Lower 48 grizzlies and inland Alaska grizzlies, have to work much harder for a living than bears in a mild temperature area with high food resources!

An Alaskan Brown, is really nothing more than a grizzly, through 100O's of years of improving by mild climate and generous, very high protein diet!

If my parents had given me high protein shakes instead of cow's milk....I may have been a bit larger and more muscular! 🤪 memtb

A 475 pound black bear is well above average black bear size! Though there are some areas, such as yours, that produce some quite large black bears.

Lower 48 grizzlies and inland Alaska grizzlies, have to work much harder for a living than bears in a mild temperature area with high food resources!

An Alaskan Brown, is really nothing more than a grizzly, through 100O's of years of improving by mild climate and generous, very high protein diet!

If my parents had given me high protein shakes instead of cow's milk....I may have been a bit larger and more muscular! 🤪 memtb
You spelled "too fat to walk" wrong.

That's what would have actually happened. 🤣

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.