Grizz Ammo

Ammunition, powder, primers are all shipped up to Alaska on the ocean, by barge, to the Alaska distributors.

And barge isn't a cost effective method of shipment for sending a few of boxes of live ammo. Need to be shipping in mass quantity to make those barge shipments cost effective.
I was afraid of that just trying to help a fellow Lightfield user out ! He uses 3.5" and can't find them , I have them and do not use them ! At least I've been successful in helping 3 other Lightfield users so far 18 boxes need to find there way to users seeking them out but it will happen soon enough!

This is not my deal and I am not purchasing or selling, just trying to help out. Since you are the seller or buyer You can go to UPS like I said in earlier posts and get confirmation on a yes or no to Alaska. Don't take speculation of others. I went through this with "NAY SAYERS" in the beginning of the year on LRH. I ship loaded ammo all over the 48 with no problem from my house and/or UPS store. No one ever asked me for ammo from AK -as of today.

I just checked here is the link on UPS - no shipping to AK or Ohau from the 48.

If you know someone flying from the 48 to AK they can put a certain amount of ammo in with their firearm and put on the plane.
If there is a member here on LRH going to AK and taking a firearm you can give the bear Ammo to them. Then when they get to AK they can either meet with the buyer or give to UPS within AK and then UPS will ship to the buyer.
Anyone going to AK on a hunting trip soon???? And will help out a fellow member?

Thanks
Len

Last edited:
Lower 48 contiguous States are different than Alaska.
Regards from a 45yr long Alaska NAY SAYER.

If live ammo could be shipped to Alaska, surely at least one ammo retailer in the 48 States would sell and ship ammunition to Alaska-based customers.

Suggested approach is to confirm your live ammo shipments to Alaska via UPS "theory" first. Then share that confirmed infomation. Less risk of leading others astray.

I have been looking for more :
Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 3-1/2″ 12 ga. 600gr
for the past two years. It was my preferred ammo for grizzly bears. I live on the side of a mountain in the Alaska Range. They visit me al the time. Can anyone help me locate these rounds or suggest an equivalent? Thanks.
When the wife and I are "up" your way, I throw Brenneke Black Magic magnum 12 gauge 3" 1-3/8 oz rifled slug in my Ithica 37 Deerslayer.

HPIM3378.JPG

Lower 48 contiguous States are different than Alaska.
Regards from a 45yr long Alaska NAY SAYER.

If live ammo could be shipped to Alaska, surely at least one ammo retailer in the 48 States would sell and ship ammunition to Alaska-based customers.

Suggested approach is to confirm your live ammo shipments to Alaska via UPS "theory" first. Then share that confirmed infomation. Less risk of leading others astray.
phorwath Alaska Nay Sayer.

Your post is # 17 right after my post #16.
Please read my entire post #16 with information and link to UPS on shipping loaded ammo to AK.

Thanks Len

phorwath Alaska Nay Sayer.

Your post is # 17 right after my post #16.
Please read my entire post #16 with information and link to UPS on shipping loaded ammo to AK.

Thanks Len
You've added a conclusion to your post #16 that now states UPS will not ship ammunition from the 48 States to Alaska or Hawaii?
That is consistent with my experience and understanding.
I've never been able to have ammunition shipped from the 48 States to my residence in Alaska, at least not at a cost effective rate. I'm not aware of any retailers of ammunition in the 48 States that will ship ammunition to my residence in Alaska.

I have been looking for more :
Lightfield Commander IDS Plus 3-1/2″ 12 ga. 600gr
for the past two years. It was my preferred ammo for grizzly bears. I live on the side of a mountain in the Alaska Range. They visit me al the time. Can anyone help me locate these rounds or suggest an equivalent? Thanks.
How many grizzly bears have you shot with that 600 gr. slug, and how many more bears can there be on that one mountain you live on? I think that if I was a grizzly bear I would find another mountain to run around on bothering folks.

Those slugs have a .162 sectional density, which is abysmal.

Even the 147gr 9mm is higher at .169.

May work, but if you want far far far better odds, buy something in the Africa Dangerous Game calibers, like 375 H&H and use that, you can run .300+ sectional densities with massive stopping power.

They aren't a little better, they are far and away better, not only that, a 375 would likely have more enjoyable recoil than a 3.5" 12ga slug.

12 gauge using tungsten super shot in an appropriate size would be interesting given its penetration, it'd still be a 3rd gun scenario as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck and I hope the shotgun and slug works, but boy are there better options, especially for the recoil.

Those slugs have a .162 sectional density, which is abysmal.

Even the 147gr 9mm is higher at .169.

May work, but if you want far far far better odds, buy something in the Africa Dangerous Game calibers, like 375 H&H and use that, you can run .300+ sectional densities with massive stopping power.

They aren't a little better, they are far and away better, not only that, a 375 would likely have more enjoyable recoil than a 3.5" 12ga slug.

12 gauge using tungsten super shot in an appropriate size would be interesting given its penetration, it'd still be a 3rd gun scenario as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck and I hope the shotgun and slug works, but boy are there better options, especially for the recoil.
The Dixie terminator hardcast slugs are where it's at, massive penetration & stopping power

I heard Dixie Slugs does not exist anymore because the owner died. Has someone taken over the company?
The owner James passed away a few years back but I just found a gentleman selling a very large collection of his terminator slugs at $6 a box along with his triball 3 pellet, hardcast buckshot. It is some pretty impressive ammunition.

The owner James passed away a few years back but I just found a gentleman selling a very large collection of his terminator slugs at $6 a box along with his triball 3 pellet, hardcast buckshot. It is some pretty impressive ammunition.
Is there any way I could pick up a few boxes of those terminator slugs?

Stay away from Grizzly Ammo
It's just a name market gimmick the vel is not what is advertised.
Buy Underwood for your outdoor needs !