Griping

I never said the game warden would go make the land owner allow the person to get the animal, I said they can help and they can, that's what they are there for.

I was just stating that not all of us, private property owners, are like this. It's better to ask than to ignore property lines, which the OP did.

There's always someone who grinds that old "shot placement" salt in. I don't care who you are, what you are hunting, if you are shooting a $10k long range rig or a H&R single shot with irons, there is no perfect shooter. Nor has any perfect shot ever been made.

I don't think any of us have X-Ray, instant shot placement. There's so many variables that can jump in the mix, a stick or twig, brush, the animal moves last second, etc. We do everything we can to minimize these risks, but they are always there for everyone. There's no hunter, no cartridge, no technique or amount of experience that can control the events that happen between the time that primer ignites and the bullet hits it's target.

Good lesson for all of us, if ones that close to a property line maybe start at the property line and work back towards the direction you come from but it's easy to arm chair quarterback when I wasnt there to experience the situation, sorry ya lost your buck

Even if the landowner says no the game warden has the right to check to make sure that there is no wanton waste and also that the deer has been properly tagged. If the guy has the carcass hanging in his garage without a tag the game wardens here will seize the carcass and give it to the person who shot it to tag.

As I understand it, it is a crime to abandon edible game without reasonable effort in MO. The owner can deny hunters access, and it is a crime to trespass on ground not clearly marked with purple paints and/or no trespass signs. If you contact the warden, he can access downed game on unwilling landowner's land if there is reasonable cause. The game warden can also access the landowners property with just cause (no warrant) if he or she has a hunting permit.

You can still contact game warden to tell them your situation. They proble will investigate. You may still not get your harvest. But the landowner may be fined for illegal harvest. Might be just what landowner needs to learn a lesson. I'm all for landowners private rights. But illegal harvests.....

I'm a hunter safety instructor in Washington state and we've had game wardens in class cover the situation. His input was if the land owner won't let you cross a property line to retrieve game then the situation sucks but there isn't anything he or the hunter can do about it. If the land owner retrieves the animal without tagging it, the game warden can cite him. The game officer was real clear that the requirement to not waste game does not trump the land owner's rights.
I agree the situation sucks. However, as a landowner I'm reluctant to let others on my property and whether or not I'd agree myself would be situational. While it took restraint, I think you did the right thing by
following the landowners instructions.
Probably the best defense to avoid similar situations is to be very aware of your access rights and plan your hunt and take your shots accordingly.

Really the gripe should not be a land owner that doesn't allow strangers access but with the guy placing the shot, I never figured it was someone else's issue if I failed to kill and animal on the property I had permission on, 100% operator error IMO!! More productive to channel your frustration into picking your shot and shot placement better next time!!

It's a good question. I had a house in the line of site and didn't want to risk it.
You are very wise for exercising restraint, OP. I've run into the same scenario a few times in the field myself and it's never worth it to take the risk. Good call.

Interesting how different states address this. Attached is a screen shot of Minnesota's 2020 approach.
Not real sure I'd be comfortable doing it this way - I'd feel better contacting the landowner first.
Capture.JPG

Even if the landowner says no the game warden has the right to check to make sure that there is no wanton waste and also that the deer has been properly tagged. If the guy has the carcass hanging in his garage without a tag the game wardens here will seize the carcass and give it to the person who shot it to tag.
The warden has no right to enter private property to check on anything unless he has permission, or evidence of a crime/violation and then he needs a search warrant. If the landowner wants to be a jerk and let an animal rot, he can do that. Or he can put a tag on it and keep it. I used to hunt a small piece of timber company land but the neighbor didnt like hunters and wouldn't let you recover an animal if it made it to his side of the fence. He was a real piece of work. We stopped hunting there because it wasn't worth losing an animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts