grip on a fiberglass stock

vendetta333

hey guys, im starting a "budget 308" build, police sniper style, just a great beater gun for out to say 300. basic build is a 20" varmint Howa barreled action, B&C medalist var/tac stock, dnz game reaper and vortes pst 1-4x. now that the specifics are out of the way, my issue/question is this:
i was originally going to go with a full aluminum Hogue stock, but made the dicision that i could get a stiffer stock, with the same full bedding block, for the same price basically, going with the B&C. the issue is that i love the feel of the hogue stocks! do i am looking for input on ways to add that nice feel to just the grip area and forend? i am not concerned for the comb, as i already made a simple kydex saddle type.
so i was thinking about plasti dip, but read that it does not wear well, and peels of VERY quickly. so my nest thought was Line-x/Rhinoliner (good professional bedliners).
what are yalls thoughts on these products or other alternatives? thanx for all input!gun)

I used bedliner to build up and provide some stippling on the grip and forend of a short Garand carbine I had that was bedded in a slippery fiberglass stock. It worked great! Good traction and good feel.

If you go that route, just mask off the area you want to paint and make sure you don't drip any on other parts of the rifle. You can apply it with a roller to get a nice combo of stippling and thickness.

anyone else? i was also looking at the flex seal stuff on tv. i do not believe that rattle cans hold the answers to all life's problems, but if it works ill go with it.

333, Duracoat makes a spray on called Dura-Velvet. It is a clear finish applied to stocks giving "a soft rubbery/velvety feel". I haven't seen it on a stock, just read about it on the Duracoat site. $15.95 on the site. Perhaps someone has tried or seen it? Good luck

I took my stock to a shop that does Rhino liner applications and had him do the entire stock. Came out nice, but added some weight. You can beat this stock as much as you want and it is not effected. won't slip in your hands either when wet.

probably a dumb question, but this is also what i am after, does it have that "warm/never cold" feeling like the hogues? thanx to all

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.