Grind to fit recoil pad removing glued on recoil pad

Brad615

Hello All,
I'm looking for some suggestions from anyone who may have had to remove a glued on recoil pad. So I have a Remington Sendero with a HS Precision stock & the recoil pad is glued on from Remington. I have read from other posts that to remove it simply place only the stock in a freezer overnight & it should simply pop off with the help of a small flathead screwdriver, putty knife, wood chisel blade etc etc etc. My problem is I have completely upgraded the rifle to include new barrel, trued action & bolt, & also glass bedding. I have read that if I place the stock in the freezer that the bedding could be compromised, & possible just pop out? I would really like to avoid the bedding to just pop out if possible. I'm looking for any help from anybody who has maybe been down this road & has any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

615, perhaps contact HS Precision, there may be screws. I've seen a few stocks where the screw holes in the recoil pad aren't visible. If no screws a sharp back saw works well if you take your time.

615, perhaps contact HS Precision, there may be screws. I've seen a few stocks where the screw holes in the recoil pad aren't visible. If no screws a sharp back saw works well if you take your time.
So I did in fact contact HS Precision & was told absolutely do not put it in the freezer. The Remington senderos that have the Hs precision stocks are glued on & no screws at all. The options they gave me was either a table band saw or place the stock in a vise & tighten it so the jaws come into contact with the plastic base of the recoil pad that is between the rubber of the pad & the stock itself (obviously be careful you don't tighten down on the stock) then start tightening the vise until you hear the glued starting to crack & the pad pops right off. I went the vise route & it worked flawlessly.
Brad.

Glad you called, they are quit accommodating. The vise procedure sounds a bit scary.

I did a few with 'G' clamps.
Glad it worked for you.

I've always wondered why the Sendero's don't come with a Decelerator from Pachmyer, the one's on there are quite firm.

Cheers.

The vise "trick" was a good idea, gonna remember that one.
I've always cut them off on the vertical bandsaw.

I did a few with 'G' clamps.
Glad it worked for you.

I've always wondered why the Sendero's don't come with a Decelerator from Pachmyer, the one's on there are quite firm.

Cheers.
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that the only good thing Remington offer's on there production rifle is the action (especially once it's trued) & the hs precision stock. The rest of the gun 99% of the time get's replaced lol.

Hello All,
I'm looking for some suggestions from anyone who may have had to remove a glued on recoil pad. So I have a Remington Sendero with a HS Precision stock & the recoil pad is glued on from Remington. I have read from other posts that to remove it simply place only the stock in a freezer overnight & it should simply pop off with the help of a small flathead screwdriver, putty knife, wood chisel blade etc etc etc. My problem is I have completely upgraded the rifle to include new barrel, trued action & bolt, & also glass bedding. I have read that if I place the stock in the freezer that the bedding could be compromised, & possible just pop out? I would really like to avoid the bedding to just pop out if possible. I'm looking for any help from anybody who has maybe been down this road & has any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
I have removed and replaced mine on an HS Precision stock on a savage action by simply clamping the rubber in a vice and rock the stock back-and-forth

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.