Greybull Presicion Scopes

etisll40

I liked their website and saw their reticle on a Leupold VX-3. Has anyone bought one and tried it?

Your impression? Leupold isn't the highest end of the scope market but they are good quality, the VX-3 line so paying a little more for another reticle option doesn't seem to put them out of a good price range ($1,100 or so for me.) I've found they are durable and their warranty rock solid. They will be there and likely to stay in business over the long haul. I kinda wonder if some of these scope companies will be able to survive against the Asian onslot in optics. Chinese in particular.

My brother inlaw uses one ,they are nice. But it is basically a var3 for bit more $$. Cheapest route get a vari3, and you can get 6-20, which Greybull, doesnt offer. Get a reticule you can range and use for holds like a TMR, Then just use the turret to dial, or if you want a BDC type, send your field proven drops to Leupold custom and have that type drop dial, or there CDS DIAL.

You can't go wrong with the Greybull Precision Scopes. Don Ward is great to deal with. I purchased 4 of them from him last year. They are very clear and track well. Buy with confidence.

Comparing vortex vipers next to leupold VX-3 I would pick the viper everytime, alot more for your money.......... The grey bull is just a leupold. Zeiss would also be a better choice.

Love mine.
Ask for the MOA turret as the shipping default, then send in ballistics for a yardage turret and you'll end up with 2 good turrets.

The reason (IIRC) for Greybull Precision not offering a 6.5-20, besided weight & size, is elevation travel. The 4.5-14 will travel farther than a 6.5-20... Just food for thought.

Yes sir, I also believe Leupold will be around for the long haul as they are finally starting to pull their head out of their rear...:rolleyes: with the MK6 & MK8 lines..$$$$

The Holland ART is an intriguing idea & would be worth looking at as well.

The Greybul team, especially John B, has been there & done that as much (or probably more) than most anyone I can think of. If they use them, it's for a reason besides marketing:D

I have thought about the Vortex line many, many times... Darn neared picked up a PST last week when I found one on the shelf... I'm still struggling with doing so....

Last edited:
Here is one of my rigs.

IMG_0165.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0164.jpg
[/IMG]

Besides the turret, there is something else about the Greybull Presicion Leupold scopes I think? They are second focal plane. My vx-3 4 1/2 x 14 with the Boone & Crockett reticle is first focal plane. So they must be changing more than the reticle in their version. I wonder if the glass is different too? Does anyone know? I think I will call them tomorrow. I'll post what I learn.

Austin, great looking rig. I'm thinking about getting a stock and their bedding system too. What did you think about their bedding system and work?

Ed

Nothing to special about it, it's the same as a bell and Carlson which is who makes them for grey bull. I really like them overall. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure 99 percent of leupold scopes are second focal plane including yours.

I love the reticle I wish you could get it with other models of leupold. I am also hoping the reticle will be in the 3x18 models that leupold is coming out with. the biggest problem I have is the price especially for me I can get FFL pricing for leupolds products, which means I can get the mark 4 version of that scope for around 6 bills, its tuff to justify paying nearly twice that for a special reticle and 1/3 moa turrets.

the other thing is the 4.5-14 leupold has a very poor FOV on the low end. which is likely a product of long eye relief, too long IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.