Greybull Presicion Scopes

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by etisll40, Mar 10, 2012.

1. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

I liked their website and saw their reticle on a Leupold VX-3. Has anyone bought one and tried it?

Your impression? Leupold isn't the highest end of the scope market but they are good quality, the VX-3 line so paying a little more for another reticle option doesn't seem to put them out of a good price range ($1,100 or so for me.) I've found they are durable and their warranty rock solid. They will be there and likely to stay in business over the long haul. I kinda wonder if some of these scope companies will be able to survive against the Asian onslot in optics. Chinese in particular.

2. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

My brother inlaw uses one ,they are nice. But it is basically a var3 for bit more $$. Cheapest route get a vari3, and you can get 6-20, which Greybull, doesnt offer. Get a reticule you can range and use for holds like a TMR, Then just use the turret to dial, or if you want a BDC type, send your field proven drops to Leupold custom and have that type drop dial, or there CDS DIAL.

3. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with the Greybull Precision Scopes. Don Ward is great to deal with. I purchased 4 of them from him last year. They are very clear and track well. Buy with confidence.

4. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

Comparing vortex vipers next to leupold VX-3 I would pick the viper everytime, alot more for your money.......... The grey bull is just a leupold. Zeiss would also be a better choice.

5. WapitiBob

WapitiBob Well-Known Member

Love mine.
    Ask for the MOA turret as the shipping default, then send in ballistics for a yardage turret and you'll end up with 2 good turrets.

6. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

The reason (IIRC) for Greybull Precision not offering a 6.5-20, besided weight & size, is elevation travel. The 4.5-14 will travel farther than a 6.5-20... Just food for thought.

Yes sir, I also believe Leupold will be around for the long haul as they are finally starting to pull their head out of their rear...:rolleyes: with the MK6 & MK8 lines..$$$$

The Holland ART is an intriguing idea & would be worth looking at as well.

The Greybul team, especially John B, has been there & done that as much (or probably more) than most anyone I can think of. If they use them, it's for a reason besides marketing:D

I have thought about the Vortex line many, many times... Darn neared picked up a PST last week when I found one on the shelf... I'm still struggling with doing so....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

I have 2 of them and they work great! Awesome customer service and their stocks are pretty sweet!

8. ovastafford

Here is one of my rigs.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. etisll40

Besides the turret, there is something else about the Greybull Presicion Leupold scopes I think? They are second focal plane. My vx-3 4 1/2 x 14 with the Boone & Crockett reticle is first focal plane. So they must be changing more than the reticle in their version. I wonder if the glass is different too? Does anyone know? I think I will call them tomorrow. I'll post what I learn.

10. etisll40

Austin, great looking rig. I'm thinking about getting a stock and their bedding system too. What did you think about their bedding system and work?

Ed

11. ovastafford

Nothing to special about it, it's the same as a bell and Carlson which is who makes them for grey bull. I really like them overall. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure 99 percent of leupold scopes are second focal plane including yours.

12. cummins cowboy

cummins cowboy Well-Known Member

I love the reticle I wish you could get it with other models of leupold. I am also hoping the reticle will be in the 3x18 models that leupold is coming out with. the biggest problem I have is the price especially for me I can get FFL pricing for leupolds products, which means I can get the mark 4 version of that scope for around 6 bills, its tuff to justify paying nearly twice that for a special reticle and 1/3 moa turrets.

the other thing is the 4.5-14 leupold has a very poor FOV on the low end. which is likely a product of long eye relief, too long IMO.