GreyBull Precision Video Preview

Hey guys its good to see the conversations! One thing about the Shooting Sticks we use is the way we attatch the rifle to the rear support. It creates a rock solid rest with the ability to use your hands for glassing, rangeing, or coyote calling! The reason for adjusting past and back to the yardage is both for consistency and the fact that when you are adjusting any screw there is a small amount of backlash. I would use this method on any scope I was adjusting! The idea of backlash on a thread is not brand specific, in fact Leupolds have dual erector springs which allow for great return to zero capabilities! We have had great success with them for many years! Adjusting past and back is a great habit to form!

As for the dialing past and back, it does eliminate the possibility of backlash or slack as the erector system does it's thing. It's not necessary, but it's one less thing that could go wrong and just an old habit for us.

Don,

Yep, that's what I figured.

Good explanation on all of the questions.

It's those little innovative "add ons" that make make it possible to go to the "next" level.

It is good to see John Burns in videos again. Best of the West has gone down hill since he left. There is only a handful of people in the world that have as much experience shooting game at long range. His rifles and techniques can be applied in the real world and in numerous situations. Not just sitting in some hide somewhere waiting around.
His rifles are real on the go long range rifles. They may not be the best for shooting game at farther than 750 to 800 yards but they can be applied quickly and accurately enough out to these ranges. If you start plugging numbers into a ballistics calculator you will find that out to 750 to 800 yards you can have one turret that matches a wide variety of hunting conditions.

Glad to see John Burns back again. He always emphasizes that in order to try any of these shots you must have practiced enough at the range and proven to yourself that the shot can be made. The Best of the West guys in their newer shows have been handing people their rifles that have never shot those distances before, or at least they make it sound that way, in order to make people think that the rifle is doing all the work, not true.

Great video.

-X3M

I recently subscribed to Greybull's Precision Hunter Journal and just got my DVD in the mail yesterday. I got interested in long range shooting after watching John Burns on Best of the West. Didn't like the show as well after he left. Still a good show, but not like it was.

Haven't watched all the DVD yet, but I've thoroughly enjoyed what I have seen. Great to see John on TV again! Especially liked seeing the vapor trail on one of his elk shots (I think it was elk . . . my memory's not as good as it once was).

Excellent video, outstanding shooting...everything from yotes to grizzlys. If someone want to know what it's all about this is the video to share with them. Well done and good music too.

Last edited:
I would expect nothing less than that out of John Burns and i agree BOTW has gone down hill without him. It used to be my favorite show now its just another show i watch.

For me BOTW is just another show I DON'T watch. Great to see John Burns back! It was directly because of your show and the various Beyond Belief DVD's that I ever even looked in to long range hunting. Absolutely 100% the reason that I found this website.

I didn't see your shooting sticks on the website, will you be selling them? Great video. I'll get it when it's out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts