Grendel?

jimisbell

Is there a reason to suspect any Grendel cartridge? I have had a barrel maker tell me that he wont do barrels for the Grendel cartridge. Maybe I am misinterpreting his comments, but the word he used was "wont" so it sounds like it is a decision based on some evidence.

OK, maybe I am just reading something into his statement that he didnt mean to be there because he used the word "Wont" instead of "Cant". Its easy to make mistakes when you cannot hear the audio but are just reading the text.

Iirc correctly, there are 2 chambers/different lead's and I think there are 2 different bolt recess depths
Also, it has a fairly large face for a standard ar15 bolt so it has had a few bolt lug strength issues in the past.

I am personally a 6.8spc vs a 6.5g guy-- but then again the 6.8 has had a checkered past too. Nothing that can't be overcome as long as you do your research/homework correctly.

Iirc correctly, there are 2 chambers/different lead's and I think there are 2 different bolt recess depths
Also, it has a fairly large face for a standard ar15 bolt so it has had a few bolt lug strength issues in the past.

I am personally a 6.8spc vs a 6.5g guy-- but then again the 6.8 has had a checkered past too. Nothing that can't be overcome as long as you do your research/homework correctly.
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone that knows more than me would comment!

Issue is with the 2 chambers.....what started out as a mistake (although creator may disagree) has turned into many followers (for 2nd chamber). I love mine though.....and yes, I have both chambers (1 by mistake and barrel maker made it right).

I have three rifles in Grendel. I have a couple AR's and I just had a rifle built off a tikka stainless action in 6.5 Grendel. Put it in a MDT chassis and it shoots little tiny groups, the wife loves it she smoked a buck this fall at 327.1 yards. Daughters used it both their bucks were at about 200-225 yards. Bang flop on all three.

I'd go for a 6arc instead of the 6.5 grendel. You have hornady making ammo. 6 Arc is what the grendel should have been. Faster and flatter than the 6.5. and just as deadly.

I have three AR Grendel's and one old one with the type one bolt. It has over 1000 rounds on it with no problems. Be thinking about the 6arc but the grendel works just fine for groundhogs and other vermin. Heck I would have to buy different brass and dies, and where to buy brass? On one barrel had to ream it for more freebore, it was way to tight.

Some barrel makers, white oak being one, dont like doing AR rounds based off the larger bolt head case of the 220 russian. There is not a lot of meat around the case head because the bolt is hogged out for the fatter case. White oak mostly builds competition barrels that get run hard. If you run these hard you might have issues. I have a grendel that I use more like a bolt action and have had no issues.

Is there a reason to suspect any Grendel cartridge? I have had a barrel maker tell me that he wont do barrels for the Grendel cartridge. Maybe I am misinterpreting his comments, but the word he used was "wont" so it sounds like it is a decision based on some evidence.
4 years ago I bought a Grendel 20" hvy profile AR barrel off Ebay for $180 and no expectations at all for my 2nd ever AR build....the results? Whackamoly baby, 3/4" groups at 100 yards all day with Hornady SST's! Got the type 2. Maybe he didn't want to buy a reamer? I have been looking for a used CZ 457 with the 2 stage trigger, they are hard to find...for a reason I guess, they shoot!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.