Grendel and Hammer powder choice

sierracharlie338

About to start on my Grendel with the 99 hammers. I may venture into the 97 AH depending on what I can come up with on the 99s.

Im running a LaRue upper with an 18inch barrel. Ive only shot factory out of it so far and know the rifle is accurate so no worries there.

My question is on powder choice. I have varget, 322, 335, XBR and a few other slower powders. Ive seen a couple other powders suggested but curious what the masses here say as I know there are some Grendel aficionados on this forum. Paging @snox801 and @Mike D Texas , @Zen Archery any others 😂

SC

Last edited:
About to start on my Grendel with the 99 hammers. I may venture into the 97 AH depending on what I can come up with on the 99s.

Im running a LaRue upper with an 18inch barrel. Ive only shot factory out of it so far and know the rifle is accurate so no worries there.

My question is on powder choice. I have varget, 322, 335, XBR and a few other slower powders. Ive seen a couple other powders suggested but curious what the masses here say as I know there are some Grendel aficionados on this forum. Paging @snox801 and @Mike D Texas , @Zen Archery any others 😂

SC
I know xbr was money in my 18" larue upper.
When I get back I'll pm my data

SC
Stephen I'll have to look back at records but as I recall ARCOMP & RL10x produced top velocities for me.

If I recall the 99 grain HH averaged just under 2850 for me and the 97AH averaged the 2961 shown in the screenshot I posted. I *think* I can push the AH to 3000 but the 2961 load was getting pretty salty. I do believe my barrel is slow too. My Howa mini runs about 50-60 fps faster than my AR; both with 20" barrels.

Stephen I'll have to look back at records but as I recall ARCOMP & RL10x produced top velocities for me.

If I recall the 99 grain HH averaged just under 2850 for me and the 97AH averaged the 2961 shown in the screenshot I posted. I *think* I can push the AH to 3000 but the 2961 load was getting pretty salty. I do believe my barrel is slow too. My Howa mini runs about 50-60 fps faster than my AR; both with 20" barrels.
I believe your barrel may be slow also.
Your 20" is same speed as my 18".
I was able to push my 16" howa over 3k with not much pressure with the 99.
I was not able to get any more speed out of Rl10x than xbr with the 99 after testing both. But I could not gain any speed with the 97 and xbr over the 99. Couldn't get enough xbr into the case to make it faster than the 99. And rl10 was pressuring to fast to drive the 99 any faster.
Keep in mind I had to use a adjustable gas block to get Rl10x to work in either of my 18" uppers. Big shout to mike for the heads up on needing that for the rl10

Got 97AH into 3000fps 20" 1:8 using W748. But using converted 7.62x39 cases, I believe it was .75-1.0gr more capacity. Also used large mag primers. It's a hot load. Only got 4-6 firings per case before primer pockets gave out. Really good brass minus pockets.

Start 25gr and work up.

Thanks guys!! I pulled up the data from the hammer spread sheet as well. Guess I will start with xbr and go from there.

I'm not looking for crazy speed with this setup just a reliable 1/2moa load. I will report my findings.

Yes, tried Tac, XBR 8208, Norma 201, CFE 223. Best results for me was Alliant Power Pro Varmit. Norma 201 had really good accuracy but PPV had accuracy and speed. Not saying this is what you're gun will like. CFE was to erratic depending on temperature for any given day.