Greetings from Tucson

Packrat 6

Like several other introductions on the following pages, I have posted several items before actually introducing myself. Known here and in some other circles as Packrat 6, the name does not reflect that I hoard or otherwise gather things and hang on to them. The comes from a group of ex-military guys that occasionally gather out at the range and shoot at some targets that we dream up. In this case, one of the guy's wife had made a pretty good semblance of a Full size Turkey and had put a target ring around the head. it was decided that we would set the target up at 300 yards and the closest shot out of 5 each would be declared the winner and the furthest would buy the drinks on our way home. Everyone threw their $5 bucks into the pot and the shoot was on

My Springfield M1A had been sent back for re-barreling and the only other Rifle I had operable at the time was a Savage 340 30-30 and I knew I was way outclassed, but what the heck, had to try. Anyway, when my turn came up, since the Savage was zero'd for 100 yards, on the first round I held the sights about 15" over the head of the Turkey and squeezed off a round. The round hit in the dirt about 10' in front of he target and one of the guys spotting said "I think you hit something in that clump of grass in front of the target, its shaking around a lot".

Anyway I fired off my rounds, and even hit the paper twice.When we walked up to the target, there in the grass in front of the target was a packrat with it's head almost detached from my 1st round hitting it just below and behind the ears.

Naturally I tried to play it off as intentional and tried to act like if I had hit it in the body like I intended, could have had the head stuffed and mounted.

On the way home, stopping at our favorite watering hole, we were sitting in the corner booth when a local policeman walked in, talked to the waitress and headed our way. His question kind of startled us when he asked who was the leader of the group, instead of who was driving the Blue pickup or some other pertinent question. One of the other Ex- Army guys looked at me, pointed and said "He is, Packrat 6".

Turned out Dave had forgot to hang his disabled tag from his mirror before parking in the handicapped parking space. We quickly resolved the problem and Dave got a warning, but the name Packrat 6 stuck. I don't think they even remember my real name anymore. When the call, my wife has gotten use to hearing "Is packrat there?"

When I signed in to LRH it seemed all the good names like Len Backus and other good names were gone so used the old standby Packrat 6.

As far as long rang shooting I lay claim to having taken out a Feral Water Buffalo at 26.2 Kilometers, yeah, Kilometers. But that is another story.

Thanks for having me.

Bruce
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts