Greetings from sunny Florida

Absolutely You can go from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico in a short amount of time. The biggest downfall of the keys are all the people and it's expensive
I lived there full time for 10 years, and i didnt find that the living expenses were much different than other areas of Florida.
As for people, there were less than 150.000 full time people living in all the keys then. Now that was 15 years ago, and it has probably increased at least some at this point. Of coarse tourism increases the population, especially during major holidays and during the winter months.
Real estate prices have risen sharply since ive moved from there, but then they have in other areas of Florida as well.
There are more downsides to living there than most people realize before they move there. And it has little to do with the cost.

So many years ago I driving a cigarette type boat for an older gentleman who wanted to go out for a spin. We running on fumes to get to the fuel dock when the Coasties stopped us for an "safety inspection". While the the old gent was yelling at me to keep going, the 2 M-16's and the lead guy with an MP-5 convinced me to cooperate. I announced to the officer in charge that if we were not allowed to get to the fuel dock (about 600 yards away), they would have to tow us in. As he was thinking about that, the starboard motor shut down. So they did follow us to the fuel dock and conducted their inspection there. But what really amazed me, was that the old gent's boat passed with flying colors. I was sure we get tagged for something, but everything was shipshape.
Looking for "square grouper". Lol

Also, check out a place called the stick marsh it was pretty popular. I've never fished there, but I've hunted the St. Johns River marsh that borders it.
I live close to Stickmarsh and have fished there numerous times. Actually Stickmarsh consists of 2 lakes, one called Stickmarsh and the other Farm 13, and you can fish both with just one launch.
And the recently opened lake called Headwaters is like living on the opposite side of the street from Stickmarsh.
Only a berm about 50 feet wide separate them.
And only a berm separates access to Blue Cypress lake, Garcia lake, Kennansville lake, the Saint Johns River and all the lakes to the north along that river.
With an airboat you can go from say Blue Cypress to Kennansville lake in about 15 minits.
You could also go to Jacksonville without stopping.
Except for fuel of coarse.
But you could also do all that with a Kayak or a canoe and not need any fuel.

Welcome from Stuart/palm city.lots of us in the same area apparently. It has changed a lot in the last 35 years for sure. I miss the cow pastures.
I didn't realize how many of us were from Florida, yeah back in the good ol days there were more cow pasture and palmettos, and less homes being built. I guess that is progress.

I didn't realize how many of us were from Florida, yeah back in the good ol days there were more cow pasture and palmettos, and less homes being built. I guess that is progress.
Depends on where you live.
From I 95 exit at Vero Beach, go west on rt 60, and its 75 miles to the next town. There are no housing developments, just orange groves, cattle ranches, lots of nothing, and some scattered houses.

Welcome from the southern state of Alabama. I went to key west florida for a free 3 day weekend paid by the company I worked for put me up in a fine condo on the very end point of keywest , there is nothing under the sun you cant buy or see in keywest ,nude bars, drugs ect. and some things you dont wont to see.

Welcome from the southern state of Alabama. I went to key west florida for a free 3 day weekend paid by the company I worked for put me up in a fine condo on the very end point of keywest , there is nothing under the sun you cant buy or see in keywest ,nude bars, drugs ect. and some things you dont wont to see.
Well, you dont really need to drive all the way down to Key West to find that kind of stuff in the keys.
Many of the people riding bikes down there arent doing it because they like to ride bikes.