Greeting from CO

lkhanson

Hi All -

Thought I would join this site, as I've been pushing my max distance on a basic Winchester 30.06 and am looking at getting a 7mm RUM Sendero to reach out at touch these game animals at a greater distance here in Colorado. Former city rifle champion ROTC, Expert badge in Marine Corps, etc. Looking forward to learning a lot from this site. Thanks! lkhanson

Hello, this is a great site. I was wandering what part of colorado you are located in ? I live in alabama my dad and i want to take a hunting trip to steam boat springs co we have been their 2 times in the past and both times you had to draw a tag. Someone told dad the other day that out of state hunters can now get over the counter tags for public hunting land. If you could help me with any info i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome to the site,

Where in Colo are you? I'm down in the San Luis valley (Monte Vista).

Enjoy the site, there is a ton of great info here.

AJ

jeremy, you can indeed buy over the counter rifle tags for certain areas in the state, during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th combined rifle seasons. i will send a link to the DOW website for you to look over. let me know if you have any other ??'s AJ

Colorado Division of Wildlife - Colorado Division of Wildlife
Thanks for the info i will check it out I appreciate the respond and the ability to talk to a resident of colorado. If I ever leave ALABAMA I will make COLORADO my home.

Hi All -

Jeremy - you will find that some units will have leftover tags - some more than others. Last season I hunted an over-the-counter unit 11 (west/northwest of Steamboat) (unit 11 had about 1100 leftover tags for 4th season), which encompassed 11, 211, 12, 23, 24, etc. A LOT of area. But, due to many factors, including (what I believe to be) an especially hard 2007/2008 winter kill there was not a lot of animals around. I believe the Craig Daily press had an article about the lack of animals in the local processing shops. The trick to finding them that year was staying in elevations 7-9 thousand feet. dogdinger is correct, though, that if you can wait, you can find a ton of leftover licenses - I think they go on sale around August (check DOW website for details).

AJ - I actually hail from the Denver area (native - born and raised). Love living here - 13 elk in the last 9 years. Who can beat that?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.