Greenhorn coyote hunter

agecop

I 'm just starting on coyotes in Louisiana. I'm an avid deer hunter and hear coyotes all the time and this year decided to start eliminating them. I have a model 77 Ruger 22/250, distress rabbit, feild mouse, howler calls and a rabbit decoy. I'm hunting on 750 acres of standing woods, cutovers and cleared power lines. What else do I need and what suggestions does anyone have?

agecop said:
What else do I need and what suggestions does anyone have?
agecop,
Welcome to LRH forums! :)

I suggest a motion decoy, like a MOJO Critter, as it will take the coyote's focus off of you...long enough to get a shot.

Also, read as much about other's experiences as possible. You're gonna make some mistakes anyway, but there's no reason to educate the coyotes more than necessary.
There's some good guys on Predator Masters and plenty of good tips.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

A few basics:
* Full camo...you and your weapons.
* Watch the wind direction. Stay downwind, when ever possible.
* Approach a calling position from downwind.
* Don't be afraid to change call sounds. What works in one area may not work in another area.
* Be quiet...from the time you leave the vehicle, till you get back to it. Metalic sounds will absolutely freak out a coyote.
* High wind days aren't as good, due to poor sound. Calls can't be heard as easily and the coyotes can't hear as good, so they're very wary.

Weapon choices vary, but I do NOT recommend anything other than centerfire.
My front weapon is a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special 3" 12 gauge shotgun with Dead Coyote ammo and a .680" Carlsons extended choke tube. Sitting next to me is a Stevens 200 in .25-06 with a 3x9 Nikon...in case something thinks it's out of range.

Depending on the terrain you're hunting, a weapon choice might be made for you. ARs are good choices too! However, your 22-250 will definately get the job done.

I hope this helps!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

COP- coyotes a fairly small target and the 22-250 i believe is a good caliber to learn on.

Len has a bunch of coyote hunting articles sorted out. Click on "Articles" at the top of this page then go to "Coyote Articles" in the left column. There are some helpful tips in there if you take time to read them. Good luck!

Paying attention to your set up is the biggest, playing the wind, field of view, shooting lanes. You are going to always have some that just won't come in, but if your wind is right and you can see them and get a good shot your success will go up.

I 'm just starting on coyotes in Louisiana. I'm an avid deer hunter and hear coyotes all the time and this year decided to start eliminating them. I have a model 77 Ruger 22/250, distress rabbit, feild mouse, howler calls and a rabbit decoy. I'm hunting on 750 acres of standing woods, cutovers and cleared power lines. What else do I need and what suggestions does anyone have?

check the wind then check the wind again try to pull the dogs out of cover to the edge of timber, brush, and then shoot straight hahaha good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.