green wood?

I haven't run in to the green before...
I have had really good luck with Oxalic Acid to "bleach" wood though to make fresh stains or finishes of any sort color consistently.

well maybe its Grey
I had a dark walnut stock off of a Mark V that I wanted to color with stain. I used the Oxalic to turn the wood white, then used a gray stain to color.
None of the red or blonde came through, which was perfect. The wood after the Oxalic looked pine-white.

In your bleaching of it did you notice any intermediate stages before the white that might have been a good stopping point? I dont want white , but maybe I could re-stain it after bleaching. I like a warm brown. Dont know what kind of wood that would be, but used to be ALL guns were made with it...maybe Wallnut?

In your bleaching of it did you notice any intermediate stages before the white that might have been a good stopping point? I dont want white , but maybe I could re-stain it after bleaching. I like a warm brown. Dont know what kind of wood that would be, but used to be ALL guns were made with it...maybe Wallnut?
I found the less time I left it on, the less it bleached the wood white. For what I was after it took a couple applications.
Another thing I have done on a different stock was to use actual bleach mixed with dawn (pictured below), or something similar to make it stick on the wood. It left the natural brown of the wood, but took the artificial color out of it. The hazard though is the risk of warping a stock... mine did a little bit (1/16" twist overall), but I was able to rework the stock and bed the action to re-float.
CD04FAD0-F953-444A-8385-A00049E40768.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.