Green Flash light ? does it work ?

What? You've never hunted turkeys at night? I thought everyone did that ;)

One night while sitting in the blind hunting hogs, about 100 yards out, we could see deer, hogs, turkeys and something smaller (skunk? raccoon? couldn't tell). We could see under the moonlight and feeder LEDs well enough to take the hog shot (Zeiss Conquest 3x9X40 scope) without the red light, but since we had a potpourri of animals before us, we decided to test the reaction to the red light coming on. The deer and hogs showed no reaction. The turkeys went ape ****. That got the deer and hogs a bit perturbed. We shut the light off right away, so the turkey's reaction was brief and we didn't lose the shot on the hog we wanted (thankfully.) We couldn't see how the small, unidentified animal responded as it was in and out of view so nothing definitive there.

I've used green a couple times and noticed that every animal except raccoons and possums reacted. On those long 24 hour varmint contests we would see a lot of game to test it on. Red is the way to go. Night vision is even better.

We hunt predators often and have found the green led to be very effective. We hunt hogs with them as well.
I specifically like "wicked lights" with intensity control.
Turning the light down low to detect eyes or a hog and slowly increasing intensity to just enough light needed to make a kill works for us.
You can get them with multiple colors.

I used to have an older, hand held, battery spotlight(white) that was very dim by today's standards but illuminated just enough to utilize the light enhancement of a good scope at low power. I could see out to 200 yds. usually.
At closer range, as mentioned in a previous post, use the halo for just enough light. It was very effective and they hardly ever spooked.
Good Luck.

Poor night vision causes hogs to be hyper sensitive to shadows cast by passing light or objects other hogs moving in a fixed light.

I am not sure that hogs have poor night vision. I have seen hogs run through the woods after I shot one of their mates, me using using thermal. Despite it being night and there being leaves on the trees, they managed to not run into trees, which is pretty impressive.

Their night vision may be poorer than that of a deer, but I would say it is still much better than human night vision.

Last edited:
I am not sure that hogs have poor night vision. I have seen hogs run through the woods after I shot one of their mates, me using using thermal. Despite the it being night and there being leaves on the trees, they managed to not run into trees, which is pretty impressive.

Their night vision may be poorer than that of a deer, but I would say it is still much better than human night vision.
I can't decide, I've seen the same thing but I've also walked right into them in the dark on accident in a sprouting wheat field... wide open for hundreds of yards and I wasn't sneaking. I've walked into them in the woods too in full day light. Or had them nearly run me over on the run.

Years ago, I was told that hogs don't have great vision, but will see movement and can smell and hear things at long distances. I do believe they can see well enough to run through the woods without whacking trees. Day or night.

Their eyes don't have much reflection when you spot light them either and it's more of a reddish hue. This, to me, seems like they don't have the night vision. I believe they see about as well as a person at night.

I can't decide, I've seen the same thing but I've also walked right into them in the dark on accident in a sprouting wheat field... wide open for hundreds of yards and I wasn't sneaking. I've walked into them in the woods too in full day light. Or had them nearly run me over on the run.

I think people often confuse behavior for capability. I have had deer walk right by me, literally within 10 feet of me and not pay me any attention, despite looking at me. Was the deer blind? Not at all. I was simply not a perceived threat to it. I even gave it a little wave and it gave me a snort and walked on the next 50 yards to the feeder and started feeding.

Just because animals don't run away at the sight of a human does not mean that they are blind. Otherwise, I need to talk to some landowners about their blind cattle.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Hogs are color blind

Few animals are truly color blind. Hogs are dichromatic and see into the UV end of the spectrum more than we do. We are trichromatic and see farther into the red end of the spectrum. In other words, they don't see as wide of a range of color as we do, but the definitely see color and they see more color on the blue end than us.

I can agree with that in some situations and I've had run ins with deer like that. In all the areas I've had these experiences the hogs were hunted heavily. The incident in the wheat for example. I had shot several hogs earlier in the day in that field as I did every day I was out. And hogs get smart pretty fast under pressure. I know it was a sounder i had shot into 6 or 7 hours earlier because it had a big sow with distinct coloring. I'm fairly certain if they had seen me I would've never been able to get that close. They were at least 300 yards from any cover. I was just walking along quietly to get back to where I'd parked. I noticed some blobs around me moving before they exploded in all directions. The wheat was only a few inches up so no one was hidden. Fun stuff, it puckered me a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts