Great week of Bear Hunting

Tikkamike

This years bear hunting started off pretty rough, weather kept me from getting bait in till about a week after rifle season had opened. I finally got bait in, then it snowed a whole bunch, and so bear hunting just was not happening. Finally we got a break in the weather and I was able to get up there with a buddy and he was able to get his first bear. It is a gorgeous lighter brown color phase.
About a week Later another friend and I left for a Saskatchewan Black Bear hunt. I went up there with the intention of shooting a light Brown Color Phase that has a huge white chest patch. about 4 hours into the first night that exact bear was the the first one to show up, hair was perfect, the only problem was he was just a little shorter than the barrel so I had second thoughts. He gave me multiple opportunities but I was after something bigger. In short order 2 more bears came in separately ad the third was big enough I knew I couldn't pass him up. he was 4-5" taller than the 55 gal. drum and had a big ol head on him so I put the 325 wsm shooting 200 Gr. TSX on it to work. one sht in the left shoulder and out his neck and he was down instantly and doing the death moan. The death moan lasted a couple minutes so I decided while he was laying there to put another right between his shoulder blades. He didnt have a lot of fat on him but ended up having about a 6.5' hide. 4 nights later my buddy connected on one that went over 7' with his 300 win shooting 180 AB. We had a great trip to canada. Caught lots of Walleye and saw some new country. I got home on saturday evening, already on sunday morning my 6 year old little boy was on me to take him up to the bait. So Sunday afternoon up to the bait we go, We were a little late getting up there and were only up there 15-20 minutes when a nice looking old sow came out. He was pumped! helping me get a rest ready, making sure I had what I needed for the shot. I made sure he got to watch it for a few minutes then let the 325 WSM bark again. My 2019 bear season is officially over. I got 2 bears in one year, was with 2 different buddies for their first bears and I got to take one with my son right there with me (at the age of 6). He is one of very few 6 year olds in my part of the country who have been in on an bear Kill.

Ken and his First Bear

ken b.jpg

My Canada Black Bear
cb2.jpg
cb3.jpg

James and His first bear, a 7' monster
cb1.jpg

My Second bear of the season
bhb1.jpg

My son Jace and the first bear kill of his pre hunting career
bhb2.jpg

Jace and I with my favorite bear!
bhb3.jpg

Well Done ya'll….My wife was with me when we took our first Blackie with a large chevron on his chest. In 1999, we have been after 'em ever since....Love the color phase.

Congrats on two nice bears . Even better that you got to enjoy the second one with your son. I hope I'm the next few years he'll be able to tag one in front of you. Then and only then will you know what a true adrenaline rush is . Yes you and every other hunter in the world gets one , but when your watching one of your children take a game animal I've found that it's 100 times more of a rush . For me anyhow

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts