Great week of Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Tikkamike, Jun 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

This years bear hunting started off pretty rough, weather kept me from getting bait in till about a week after rifle season had opened. I finally got bait in, then it snowed a whole bunch, and so bear hunting just was not happening. Finally we got a break in the weather and I was able to get up there with a buddy and he was able to get his first bear. It is a gorgeous lighter brown color phase.
    About a week Later another friend and I left for a Saskatchewan Black Bear hunt. I went up there with the intention of shooting a light Brown Color Phase that has a huge white chest patch. about 4 hours into the first night that exact bear was the the first one to show up, hair was perfect, the only problem was he was just a little shorter than the barrel so I had second thoughts. He gave me multiple opportunities but I was after something bigger. In short order 2 more bears came in separately ad the third was big enough I knew I couldn't pass him up. he was 4-5" taller than the 55 gal. drum and had a big ol head on him so I put the 325 wsm shooting 200 Gr. TSX on it to work. one sht in the left shoulder and out his neck and he was down instantly and doing the death moan. The death moan lasted a couple minutes so I decided while he was laying there to put another right between his shoulder blades. He didnt have a lot of fat on him but ended up having about a 6.5' hide. 4 nights later my buddy connected on one that went over 7' with his 300 win shooting 180 AB. We had a great trip to canada. Caught lots of Walleye and saw some new country. I got home on saturday evening, already on sunday morning my 6 year old little boy was on me to take him up to the bait. So Sunday afternoon up to the bait we go, We were a little late getting up there and were only up there 15-20 minutes when a nice looking old sow came out. He was pumped! helping me get a rest ready, making sure I had what I needed for the shot. I made sure he got to watch it for a few minutes then let the 325 WSM bark again. My 2019 bear season is officially over. I got 2 bears in one year, was with 2 different buddies for their first bears and I got to take one with my son right there with me (at the age of 6). He is one of very few 6 year olds in my part of the country who have been in on an bear Kill.

Ken and his First Bear

ken b.jpg

My Canada Black Bear
    cb2.jpg cb3.jpg
    James and His first bear, a 7' monster
    cb1.jpg
    My Second bear of the season
    bhb1.jpg
    My son Jace and the first bear kill of his pre hunting career
    bhb2.jpg
    Jace and I with my favorite bear!
    bhb3.jpg

2. longrangebo

longrangebo Well-Known Member

Very nice , very nice, dont get any better Congrats!

HARPERC and Tikkamike like this.
  3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

A year you will always remember! Very nice spring with the kids!

Tikkamike likes this.
  4. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Awsome man congratulations man. I can’t wait to get my first bear. Great that you can get your son out like that. I hope one day my son can go with me on Hunts.

elkoholic72 likes this.
  5. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

What a story and a memory. Congrats!

6. BUCKWORKMAN

BUCKWORKMAN Active Member

Well Done ya'll….My wife was with me when we took our first Blackie with a large chevron on his chest. In 1999, we have been after 'em ever since....Love the color phase.

Tikkamike likes this.
  7. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

Nice bears and awesome memories. I bet the little one can't wait to start hunting, I mean look at his smile. Very nice Sir, Congrats!

Tikkamike, HARPERC and BUCKWORKMAN like this.
  8. dmj

dmj Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Especially on taking your son with you. Enjoy it they grow up fast. Hopefully you will still be able to hunt together, but that smile says it all.

joseph singleton, LVJ76 and Tikkamike like this.
  9. Mustang72

Mustang72 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!-just doesn't get any better than that-til your with your son and he gets his first one!

10. th82457

th82457 Well-Known Member

Nice bears, great memories & great pictures !
    Congrats !

Tikkamike likes this.
  11. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Pretty awesome! That’s a lot of bears killed in a short amount of time.

Tikkamike likes this.
  12. coop2564

coop2564 Well-Known Member

Very nice and congrats

Tikkamike likes this.
  13. wv270 wsm

wv270 wsm Well-Known Member

Congrats on two nice bears . Even better that you got to enjoy the second one with your son. I hope I’m the next few years he’ll be able to tag one in front of you. Then and only then will you know what a true adrenaline rush is . Yes you and every other hunter in the world gets one , but when your watching one of your children take a game animal I’ve found that it’s 100 times more of a rush . For me anyhow

14. joseph singleton

joseph singleton Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

:):cool::DAwesome you got to begrinning fro ear to ear,,,,CONGRADS