Great News, range re-opens

Centre Punch

Great news guys,
after 14 months of red tape, bureaucracy and stalling, our 1 mile range has finally been re-certified by the ministry of defence to commence shooting again.
We are all very excited and a trip will be planned for the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

Ian,
Way back in the cobwebs of my brain there are recollections of shooting on the ranges at Bisley, intersperced with a lot more memories of drunken trips into London. Seem to recall stepping off one of your rail coaches thinking it was motionless - but it wasn't. Royal Military Tattoo, stuff like that flash-back also. Was a fine time for a young shooter. Seem to recall a lot of rain and foggy days, is that common in England /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ian

Jimm,
I'm afraid my 243 AI project has been put on the back burner due unforseen circumstances.

With the right bullet my 243 will still be good for 1000yds and i've got my 300WSM for 1500yds.
My gong is ready and i am currently working on some portable shooting benches, once i have the ballistic software sorted, we are ready for the off!
Afull report will be up and coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Hi Ian,
from 1989 to 1997 i travelled to Bisley to take part in the annual pistol fest and from what i can remember it only rained once, the rest of the time it was gorgeous spring weather but yes, it can be wet, cold and foggy at other times of the year.

Arrival at noon on Friday signalled the start of a three day party, interspersed with some shooting. Freindships were made and cemented (which last to this day),
herds of cattle were barbecued, reservoirs of beer were emptied and acres of tobacco went up in smoke, in the form of fine cogars, sore throats and hangovers were the order of the day.
As you can imagine we never won any competitions, the camerardery being the most important thing.

Ian.

Hello Ian

Is it bisley you are referring to then with the one miler?
Keep meaning to get down there but never made it so far!

Jeza

Hi Jeza,
Its Radnor Ranges in wales owned by Dave Ryan who runs Minsterly Ranges.
located on the A44 about 20 miles west of Leominster, it used by the old IMI testing ground with approx 1500 acres and ranges out 3000yds and approval for calibres up to 40mm but this has now been cut to a max of 1800yds and 50 cal.

Ian.

Ah talk of Bisley.. i remember shooting there a few years on the trot at the ALL Arms Championships(or whatever they call em these days. We had one hell of a laugh, lived in tents, matches during the day(exept the night shoot) chased all the local skirt during the evenings, heck me and another guy from 3Bn Royal Anglians went over to Gilford to the WRAC training place on pretenses of filling up the landrover, we got changed in to civies, hid the rover and hit the NAAFI, only us blokes and a bunch of WRAC's.. didn't take long till word got out and the PR's came and arrested us.. we got away with that by the skin of our teeth..Falling plate was the best fun, followed by the machine gun / section match. Para cup wasn't bad either but i wouldn't make it to the firing point these days Match shooting with the Army was fun. Can't ever remember getting to Radnor though. Spent a lot of time on Middlewich and Fingeringhoe in Colchester, Purfleet near London, Caterick, Warcop,Otterburn,etc.
I wish these Kraut authorities would open up the ranges here, its a right sod to get anything longer than 300m. and getting on to Sennelager ist a right night mare these days,
Pete

At the NPA pistol meetings in the early 90s the Shorts range(now a clay layout!) was set up with a dozen tables of bowling pins and 2 falling man set ups. Hundreds of shooters queued up each day from 900hrs to 1800hrs to blast the skittles of the table, what a rush!
My fastest time for one table (7 pins) was 3.52 seconds with my compensated 10mm Delta, BOY DO I MISS PISTOL SHOOTING.

Ian.

Ian,
Way back in the dark ages we were actually allowed to RENT handguns by the day for practice while attending the matches at Bisley - we were hosted by an outfit called the Honorable Artillery Company and they had a small armories. I recall a lot of 9mm ammo being stored in the armories and a lot of it getting blasted in the rented break-open Weblies. Doubt that they rent handguns to Canucks these days! Seem to recall an experiment to see if a rolled-up bunk mattress would silence and stop a 9mm bullet - started the **** thing on fire is what happened. Really enjoy the memories when they come wafting back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Couple of years ago we visited Stonehenge, seems that there was a military facility just down the road - have you fellows ever been there?
ian

IanM,

My village is 10 mins from Stonehenge!
The camp you could see was the Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill......mecca to the true long-range fraternity!

Salisbury Plain (which you are in the South centre of at Stonehenge) is the largest UK training area -equivalent in size to the Isle of Wight- I think it would fit something like 8 times into BATUS / Suffield!

HAC eh? did you have to role up one trouser leg?!

HAC was a nice place, pretty much where I decided to forego liquor for the rest of my life since I blew my cookies there so many times and so violently. Shooting was very challenging with the hang-overs I experienced on a more or less continuous basis while in your fair country.
You live in a very beautiful region.

Brown Dog i thought you where other wise engaged. Need to have a chat about your BDC now i have my new engraving machine and the import papers for a certain action type.
Larkhill.. been there on Mortar concentrations a bunch of times.. bunch of drop shorts !! ha.. just pulling your leg Matt.
Pete

Hi Pete,

No, it's next week that comms will become difficult for a while -been rather distracted by the preparation though.

Just spent all day doing range work, 6 of us turning live rounds into empty cases at a satisfyingly outrageous rate; got through 500rds of 9mil too. Good for a de-stress!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.