Grayboe or Stocky’s

I only have experience with Greyboe of those two and I really like the terrain. That is the one in my avatar(284W SA with 24 inch barrel). I liked it enough to get a second one for my 338RUM. It has a thinner grip which I like and is quite compact. Only possible negative so far(if that)would be length of pull being shorter than I am used to with my long arms and torso. They are quite ridged and bottom metals fit very nice. I opted for the Varmint barrel channel to make sure everything free floats even though I run a heavy sporter barrels. I believe my father has a stockies similar to the greyboe and it feels good as well. Only thing I may add to the terrain stock is a little bedding for the recoil lug.

EF5C3609-4344-4575-8830-8494A77DA524.jpeg
76BFE2D1-6BF7-4D47-9A89-5D516FCA256B.jpeg

Bartlien 3B

I just received my Terrain for my 280ai build. I went with the Lone Peak razor (timed) action so I can screw on a shouldered prefit barrel w/o a nut. My action fits perfect in the stock... snug but not too much. I also have the sporter magnum. Having a 25" Bartlein, 1-8.7 SS barrel spun up by the smith. The Grayboe bottom metal I ordered with the stock appears to be very well made and fits well.
The new Terrains have been lightened to 2 lbs. Good news.

I had a VG2 a while back (when they were made by AG composites for Stockys) and it was awesome. Fit and finish was excellent and was super comfortable to get behind. I found they were fairly stiff and had no appreciable forearm flexing when loading a bipod.

Only sold it to fund an AG Alpine hunter in a color I liked more.

Attachments

• CB9C45B2-94E1-4922-A516-196047F00FB8.jpeg
    CB9C45B2-94E1-4922-A516-196047F00FB8.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 239
I had the terrain for 2 weeks. I couldn't get comfortable shooting from prone. But pad sat way too low and top tip of recoil pad was only contact point on shoulder. The AG alpine hunter as mentioned above is better designed for prone. The terrain was good from free hand and shooting of a rest.

The terrain works great from prone, standing, etc.... when you mount your scope just pay attention to the mount hardware you use. If using a rail you will want to use extra-low rings. I've used numerous different rings on my 3 Terrain stocks. Part of setting up the rifle properly is making sure you select proper base and ring height for your shooting applications most used. Here's a picture of one of my builds in 6.5 PRC. Barrel .760 at muzzle. The bottom metal they make is also top notch. The guys at Grayboe are awesome and really build a fantastic stock and service is awesome. One of the McMillan boys started the company after they sold McMillan stocks. I've dealt with Ryan numerous times. Email him if you have any questions. [email protected] let him know Joe Stumpf from Tucson referred you to him. I've spoke and dealt with him numerous times over the last 2 years. He's a super great guy and will make sure you get exactly what you're after. I am finishing a 6 Creedmoor with a Terrain pictured below, and also am acquiring components to build a 300WSM using the new Grayboe Phoenix stock.

8415CC8D-32C7-44E2-97B4-4C9A1B9017E6.jpeg
E408886D-1AF8-45B7-8FA3-AC2EB1E72C29.jpeg
F4153BA4-7017-4C84-858D-15DA755D229A.jpeg

The terrain works great from prone, standing, etc.... when you mount your scope just pay attention to the mount hardware you use. If using a rail you will want to use extra-low rings. I've used numerous different rings on my 3 Terrain stocks. Part of setting up the rifle properly is making sure you select proper base and ring height for your shooting applications most used. Here's a picture of one of my builds in 6.5 PRC. Barrel .760 at muzzle. The bottom metal they make is also top notch. The guys at Grayboe are awesome and really build a fantastic stock and service is awesome. One of the McMillan boys started the company after they sold McMillan stocks. I've dealt with Ryan numerous times. Email him if you have any questions. [email protected] let him know Joe Stumpf from Tucson referred you to him. I've spoke and dealt with him numerous times over the last 2 years. He's a super great guy and will make sure you get exactly what you're after. I am finishing a 6 Creedmoor with a Terrain pictured below, and also am acquiring components to build a 300WSM using the new Grayboe Phoenix stock.

View attachment 236518View attachment 236519View attachment 236520
What color pattern is on the 6 creed? I've got to get one of those!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts