Gray Fox

Greg Duerr

Does anyone out there hunt for Gray Fox? I just bought a Fox Pro Firestorm and will be trying it out this weekend. What sounds work for you? I see that Gray Fox pelts are going for $40 What bullet choice do you use to keep the exit holes under 6inches>

We have more Grays down here than anything else. It doesn't get cold enough to sell them though. I use a 22 LR they are just to small to use much bigger and they always seem to come in closer than 25 yards for me. My 17 hornet will not stay inside them that close. Here is a pic of my first one this year taken at about 20 yards with my favorite night calling gun.

IMG_1327.jpg

Thanks for the picture, they really are not that big and have small feet to. I don't have any where I live but 60 miles away it gets really brushy with lots of timber. I have seen a lot over there while hunting for Bear.
Have you ever used the 17HMR? I have one but have only used it on rabbits and squirrels.
So, you call at night? I read that they are very responsive in the afternoons and when there is snow on the ground. Plus I bought a Fox Pro Firestorm with Gray fox sounds, what sounds do you use and what is your method for calling for them? Do you trap for them or just Call? No one over hear knows much about them, so you a great source of information.

You can email me if you like at [email protected]

Do you have Bobcats in your area ?

Thank for the info and reply

Greg

I have not owned nor have I used a 17 hmr, but I think it would be a great round to use on gray's their structure is more rabbit like than other predators. When we do get cold weather and can get a few bucks for them I switch to a 22 mag but otherwise I stick with a 22 lr. I do have some Bobcats here too but the grey fox is far and away the most common predator in my area. I call at night almost exclusively. I will say they learn fast, and when they figure out you are calling them they will torment you. I have had them sit down wind at the edge of my light and yip at me. If they are unwise to a call, they are almost retarded I have had them jump in the cab of a pick-up when using the tape deck in the truck. The best advice I can give is do not call one up and not kill it. I have had them as pets before and they act more like nervous house cats than dogs. Also cut the squeaker out of a dog toy that works well to get them to pose for a shot. Good luck hunting gray's is addicting especially if your first experience is hunting some that are not wise to being called. If you are not going to or it is not legal to hunt them at night I will not be much help.

Try using the woodpecker or one of the bird in distress calls on the firestorm. They'll work for both fox and bobcat. Otherwise most any rabbit in distress will work on fox.

A higher pitched rabbit distress works well! The most efficient sound is any gray fox distress! It gets them coming quickly! And a tight patterned shotgun with a 2oz 4 or 2 shot! No pelt damage and works out to about 50 yards with there body size and enough pellets connecting! Goodluck calling!