Graphite and Gun Powder

dwm

So I have a question about the graphite that is in gun powder.

I bought some powder a couple of years ago and when I ran out, I bought two more pounds.

When I wen to use the new powder it looked considerable different than the previous batch.

I e-mailed the manufacturer and they said that a new vendor was supplying the graphite that was used in the new batch of powder and that was why the color and look of the powder was different. (I was concerned that it may have gotten hot in shipping and that made the color change.)

Finally to my question:

Does the graphite that is a component of the gun powder we shoot, burn along with the powder or is it part of the black stuff on the patches when I clean the barrel?

If it does not burn, then this implies that it lubricates the barrel. Sort of like an automatic molly coating of the barrel. A fouling shot is actually lubing the barrel.

What do you guys think about this?

Doug

No one want to offer an opinion on this one?

First, does graphite burn at the temp in the chamber?

Doug

DWM

Yes, it does lube the barrel and we have found that it does work to prolong barrel life.

This is true in powders like H870 and WC-872.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.