Grandson's First LR Rifle

Riceguy

Grandson's first LR Rifle
My Grandson (21) wants to get into a beginners LR shooting Rifle
He is looking at a Browning X-Bolt Max in 308
26 inch, 1:10 twist
Fluted BBL, with Break
Adjustable Composite Stock.
Would Like some impute from the guys on the forum.

I don't have one and I haven't shot one but it sure looks like it has a lot going for it. I've had a 308 win since 1991 and it still shoots well with a ton of bullets through it. The Brownings I did have were well made rifles. Not much after market support for them. But that rifle looks like it's gtg right out of the box. 308 win will last a lot of rounds. If he wanted a LR hunter then 300 wm might be a better option. If he wants a LR shooter with great barrel life then 308 win is a good choice.

I think that is a good choice. I have a Browning X-Bolt in 270 (22" barrel). It shoots less than a 3" group at 500 yds with factory ammo. I also have a 25 WSSM A-Bolt (pre X-Bolt days) that has 1 shot kills out to 652 yards. Both rifles like factory ammo and LOVE handloads.

I don't have one and I haven't shot one but it sure looks like it has a lot going for it. I've had a 308 win since 1991 and it still shoots well with a ton of bullets through it. The Brownings I did have were well made rifles. Not much after market support for them. But that rifle looks like it's gtg right out of the box. 308 win will last a lot of rounds. If he wanted a LR hunter then 300 wm might be a better option. If he wants a LR shooter with great barrel life then 308 win is a good choice.
Thanks, he isn't a hunter. Just loves to shoot. and GrandPa has a lot of 308 ammo for him to shoot. And a 900 yrd range to do it on.

Recent Posts