Grand Slam Retrospective.

25 Otter

Howdy all. With all the hub bub about Accu Bond,Inner Bond,Sciroccos and the like. Who here has a Grand Slam story to tell? Are they history? Did they never perform? I see they're still in production. Which is something of a surprise with all the new bonded offerings. Been wanting to try some Deep Curls in the 300 ultra,but they aren't a Grand Slam. I've killed a bunch of critters with the good old Hot Core line. Not always the best paper performance,but I never had a lost critter due to one. So, back on point. Who here has real life experiance with the Grand Slam in the game fields?

I tried the 250 grn grand slams for a few years in my 358 Norma but quit using them because of poor performance on game, heavy recoil, and not very consistant accuracy in my gun. The recoil issues have been taken care of with the addition of a Painkiller on the gun and the consistancy was still an issue when I shot the last 18 I had sitting around. As far as terminal performance I had 2 of them come apart on impact on the only 2 annimals I shot with them. 1 was on a small black bear at less than 30 yards and the bullet just exploded on a rib and went no further. On an immature bull moose that I shot at just over 150 yards 2 years later the result was the same, rib bone and bullet blew apart. I never shot them at game again. The first one was shot at just over 3100 fps, figured that may have been the problem so I loaded them down to 2850 fps and the result was still the same. I'm sure that I could have found a load that gave me good accuracy with them but it was the on meat performance that turned me away from them. Not trying to to start a bullet debate or engage in a argument about what I did wrong but merely stating my experience with the Grand Slam and why I won't use them anymore

Last edited:
Thanks bman. Thats what I was looking for. First hand experiances with the G-Slam. Good or bad. I just want to see what's been going on with them the last couple decades. I personally don't know many folks that have used them. If that's the case nation wide, I.m amazed they are still kicking.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.