GRAND CANYON BISON KILL

VALKYRIETP

This may be interesting

T.P.

Last edited:
Read up before you sign up. Backpacking 700-900 pounds of bison out of the Grand Canyon after you gut and clean the animal yourself is a fairly epic task. I don't know if they would allow mules or horses to pack it out but "no motor vehicles" is stated. You might also be recruited to help others during the required 5 day stay. It also sounds like you might be shooting animals that have been rounded up in a corral.

Scott you make a few valid points. Love GC and the packing is whatever, but if it was rounded up animals... I'd be bored and not want to partake, considering how the park is, I think you have a very valid point.

Last edited:
Read up before you sign up. Backpacking 700-900 pounds of bison out of the Grand Canyon after you gut and clean the animal yourself is a fairly epic task. I don't know if they would allow mules or horses to pack it out but "no motor vehicles" is stated. You might also be recruited to help others during the required 5 day stay. It also sounds like you might be shooting animals that have been rounded up in a corral.

Yup! Once I read all the fine print I was like...I'M OUT!

I have hunted them with bow and high power rifle but never shot anything out of a pen???? When I did a rim-to-rim Grand Canyon expedition I barely hauled myself out with a 20# backpack of supplies. Just the backstraps of a bison weigh around 80-90#'s each. Lots of great meat but carrying it up the canyon might be a very strong, young man's game. I am afraid that excludes me on both counts.

I was told a guide service has the boundary area sewed up. Yes you can rightfully go there, but it's reported he has a ton of cameras, blinds and salt out. All that cost money and he and his crew aren't happy when someone intrudes. A good friend hunted this boundary area a few years ago and took a nice bison. He hired the aforementioned guide service.

I was told a guide service has the boundary area sewed up. Yes you can rightfully go there, but it's reported he has a ton of cameras, blinds and salt out. All that cost money and he and his crew aren't happy when someone intrudes. A good friend hunted this boundary area a few years ago and took a nice bison. He hired the aforementioned guide service.

I'd tell that guide to go pound sand if I'm doing a cull hunt on public land for the NPS.

Any more info on this? I put in for it as I figured it would be the only way I would ever have an opportunity for anything like this. I'm 45 and in good health but have gotten "fluffy" over the past few years. LOL I may be in over my head, I also live at 700' altitude in NC not 8000'.

I put in. Figured what the heck. Don't figure it'll be much of a "hunt" just because the park service is involved and they couldn't justify it looking like a hunt to the crowd that most certainly does not want this.

On the plus side it may be a unique experience.

The bison are not down in the Canyon. They are in the GC National Park. Big difference.

I applied. Applications due tonight by midnight.

The bison are not down in the Canyon. They are in the GC National Park. Big difference.

I applied. Applications due tonight by midnight.
Yea, I have never seen one down in the canyon itself (but plenty of deer and sheep). I put in but if they are "corralled' that would be a show stopper for me.

Yea, I have never seen one down in the canyon itself (but plenty of deer and sheep). I put in but if they are "corralled' that would be a show stopper for me.
I don't think there is any way NPS would even be able to corral one. They are wild animals, not bred in pens. I have seen them well north of Demotte Park in late summer. They are very much free range, not like the Raymond Ranch herd.