GPS

Since I don't get along too well with anything touch screen I would go for the new Garmin 66. I have the older Garmin 62 and it has been a very good GPS and I have always been able to connect to the satellites even under heavy podocarp forest canopies. It is easier to carry a few extra AA batteries rather than have to carry a USB battery bank for a cell phone IMO.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Figure out where you are going ahead of time and keep your head on straight...navigate with you brain....get home safely...
Or buy the one that shows property lines and go from there...

Probably isn't the best. But I really like onx maps on my Android phone. Fairly simple to use,( has to be for me). Shows private and public lands. Seems to be fairly accurate. Have to download the areas you want when you have internet service. Also in my humble opinion nothing replaces good old common sense. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Interesting question. I've really downgraded my GPS in recent years. With high quality satellite imagery, and the ability to overlay many different maps I use a tablet for scouting and a PC for planning. I've found no substitute for paper so I'll print out pertinent maps which are great for outlining plans with the hunting party. Generally everyone gets a printed map.

I never met a handheld GPS that I really got along with. Low level (and often illogical) operating systems, subpar GPU's, proprietary formats... While actually hunting, I carry the smallest, simplest device I can - I mark waypoints like 'truck' 'camp' 'kill' in my GPS, but that's all I use the handheld GPS for - waypoints. All mapping is analog, or pc/tablet.

I'm sure there are some pretty capable units out there - look forward to hearing what other guys are using. I've just found GPS to be most valuable when maps are not (dark/weather), and maps to be the most valuable when I can manipulate them and draw on them. Because no product has been able to integrate these two concepts to my satisfaction, I've found separating them to be a natural solution!

For context, I have done a fair amount of GIS/lidarr for work. I have access to proprietary oil/gas and forestry maps. I'm not a Luddite!

External GPS was one of the first accessories developed for the iPad in 2010 when pilots discovered how useful an iPad with real time positional information could be. There is a LOT to be said for using a tablet as a GPS.

Then again, it just doesn't feel like hunting with an iPad... does it? Or is this what being old feels like?

Last edited:
I've used several different units for work and I have found that I prefer the Garmin Oregon series. If you have the ONX chip it makes a good combo out west on public lands. However, if you don't have a need for marking/mapping a lot of area and carry a cell phone anyway, you should look into using the OnX map app on your phone. You can download map areas and use the maps offline and not carry a separate unit. I use my Oregon unit quite a lot and use it for tracking/marking/and mapping and prefer it over using a phone.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.