GPS-which models?

Dskiper

Hey hunters, I'm now over 60 and no longer want to just get out to "big woods"access roads where I parked via compass. So to get close to the truck and hunt without worry of where am I guess I need A GPS. I hunt out west and in Maine. I want something easy to operate, easy to see ,memory,scrollable I"m told. Not knowing prices I don"t want features not needed. What would recomend around 400.00 or less? thanks, Dskiper

Not sure what "scrollable" means, but the Garmin 60-series (60CSx being the high-end, MSRP $400) will get it done for you -- and in my opinion is still the best unit on the market. If color doesn't matter to you, get the non-color version (60Sx I believe) and save some coin.

There are some newer fancy touch screen ones, but they don't have the same battery life (and some, at least last I was researching, have "glitchy" gps chips that will inexplicably wander off by several hundred yards).

I just got a Garmin Oregon 300. Has SD memory card ability so you can add maps. Touch screen is great. So....much easier to go from screen to screen, also.

I got it so I can use the new Public Hunting Land maps for the western states that show you where you are standing in relation to private land boundaries. I will be using it and these maps on my current 3 state, 8 day, 3,000 mile deer hunting dash.

I just left home 10 hours ago.

Gotta go!

HELLO, I thank u for the info! By my wording "scollable", my Alberta moose guide sald it was better get a model with a:joy stick" so as to move map screen left or right. His Garmin model (100.00 +/_) just got him from pt.A to pt.B and back to pt.A. I think. This is a new toy for me! Dskiper

I think Delorme was the only one that had 7.5 min maps but also heard that Garmin was coming out with this. Does anyone know if Garmin now offers this? Len, does your Oregon have it?

Hey Dskiper -

I have the Garmin 60CSx and it was my 1st GPS ever. I gotta say it's amazing!!! I bought it about a year ago and it's among the best purchases i've ever made (especially for outdoors stuff). I've used it in the States and here in Bosnia and Eastern Europe quite regularly.

I've taught compass/land nav for years (off/on) so i appreciate the need to have a solid direction-finder and these nifty units really do the job.

I get great battery life (i don't leave it on all the time in mtns), it rarely looses signal, and the screens are soooo easy to use.

I bought the accessory cigarette-lighter adapter to use when i'm driving so i can enter the coordinates to tell me i'm getting close to where i want to go. There are better untis for using in cars, but this one is the best for off-trail.

HTH,

frank

I use the Garmin 530C Rhino. Has 40 ch / 2-way communicator. Accurate, dependable, battery life is exceptional. Nice thing is, if your buddies have a unit like it and are in the same area you can locate them on your units map. Never hunt without it and is my most relyed on piece of hunting equipment I own next to my rifle. This thing will do everything except shoot my deer for me!

We also use the Rhino. Three of our guys have various health problems. If anyone goes down we can locate them immediately. Gives them and us confidence and decreases the worry factor. Allows them to hunt inspite of health problems.
Russ

I think the Garmin units also have a feature that allows you to point the GPS at a distant location, and input a range. Thus giving you a waypoint at the other end. Could be pretty useful if you need to find game that is down on the other side of a valley.

The Rhino w/radio isn't bad, but even more expensive than the 60CSx, which has the best/most accurate satellite tracking. Bear in mind, that despite the number of buttons on the 60CSx, you can at least operate them with gloves on (a surveyor's tip is to glue a rubber pencil eraser on your glove's pinky finger). Touch screens only work with bare skin, although just yesterday I came across a news item on conductive thread that you could sew into a glove. Nonetheless, the reception on the newer (and also more expensive units) like the Oregon and Colorado is just not as good.

I have custom programmed my 60CSx with topo maps I created in ArcMap and MapWel. This isn't something someone without GIS experience could do but at least with the Garmins it's possible. Nothing like being able to quickly flip on a township and range layer to show someone either that you are in the right place or they are in the wrong place! Also, I've added custom features like certain meadows I want to approach carefully.

The Rhino w/radio isn't bad, but even more expensive than the 60CSx, which has the best/most accurate satellite tracking. Bear in mind, that despite the number of buttons on the 60CSx, you can at least operate them with gloves on (a surveyor's tip is to glue a rubber pencil eraser on your glove's pinky finger). Touch screens only work with bare skin, although just yesterday I came across a news item on conductive thread that you could sew into a glove. Nonetheless, the reception on the newer (and also more expensive units) like the Oregon and Colorado is just not as good.

I have custom programmed my 60CSx with topo maps I created in ArcMap and MapWel. This isn't something someone without GIS experience could do but at least with the Garmins it's possible. Nothing like being able to quickly flip on a township and range layer to show someone either that you are in the right place or they are in the wrong place! Also, I've added custom features like certain meadows I want to approach carefully.

Can you tell me more about importing maps fro ArcGIS into the Garmin GPS units? I have the GIS experience and have been thinking about a new consumer grade GPS, the ability to do this would would certainly bear on my choice.

Len,
Please tell us how the Oregon 300 worked for you. I'm thinking about getting one for next year and installing the "Public Land" SD card. Also where did you get your Public Land mapping disc? I saw one at KLMers. com. Thanks.

Gordon
Niceville, FL

The 60 CSx is a great choice as indicated by the replys.i use a 76CSx which is pretty much the same thing feature wise,different shape and it floats.I've been looking at the Delorme PN 40 which looks pretty darn slick.Check the Delorme site and see what this thing will do.Delormes Topo USA is way better than Map source and you can get the 7.5 min quads as well as satallite imagry.The compass will work in any position as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.