GPS Suggestions

treillw

Looking to grab a GPS on sale over the next few days. Currently looking at the Garmin Oregon 650T and Montana 680T models. The Oregon seems like it can do anything that the Montana can do at a smaller size.

The GPS systems seem to be turning into smart phones with some of the features they are offering. I don't need it to do the roadway navigation stuff and all that other fancy stuff. I just want to be able to get from A to B with topo maps and be able to plot my points on the computer.

Any other suggestions or experience with any of the two above?

Thanks!

We used Dad's Oregon during a recent elk hunt in NM. Actually, Dad's guide used it when his unit died, and he played with it enough to find a LOT more features than I ever dreamed it had.

I generally prefer larger screens, except on my iPhone, so I might be tempted then by the Montana if the price was good.

I just bought the 64st this year. It works great with the base camp software for scouting, tracking, etc. Just remember the touchscreen models will be real fun to use when the screens get wet. I'm a garmin marine dealer, they specifically recommended this unit to me for hunting and so far I love it. The external antenna makes it much more accurate and the compass is spot on. That unit is actually the only reason I found a buck in the dark this year I killed in ml season where the lung stopped the exit hole from bleeding enough to track.

The Oregon 650T is on sale for $349 and the 64S for $229 at Cabelas till Dec 2. I've got the 64ST and am happy with it, but I like the Oregon also.

I've been hearing a lot of good reviews on the Garmin Rino 6XX series GPS ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/pf_DvDeZ_QQ?t=110[/ame]

Supposedly, it's what most rescue units used, at least in my local area.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.