Gotta love em!

remingtonman_25_06

I was talking about shooting at work today during lunch and one of the guys asked what I was shooting. I told him 220 swift. I told him that I loved it, but traded it for a .270 cuz I could shoot farther with it. He said shoot, a 220 swift will shoot 500 yards, I said ya I know, but thats about it, I wanted something for out to around 800. Anyways, he went on to say that any 22-250 can be loaded "faster then a swift". I just kinda thought, OK buddy, your one of those guys. He proceeds to tell me, those loads in the manual dont mean anything, you can go over by 1-2-3 grains. He was claiming to get 4500 fps with a 58g vmax out of a 243, no cronograph. I was also thinking, jeez this guy, cant and wont get anything across to him. I simply said a 22-250 wont outdo a swift, and he said, if you know what your doing it will. I about laughed. I didn't have enough time to finish, however I doubt any of it woulda worked!!!

I know what you mean. Working in gun sales, I see that type all the time. Talking to them has kind of become a game for me now. I just keep asking ?s and poking @ them a bit and they just keep digging and digging. They're all too stupid to realize that I'm just making fun of them. Sometimes I think I should wear waders to work!!!

[ QUOTE ]
He was claiming to get 4500 fps with a 58g vmax out of a 243, no cronograph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest to goodness I got 4200 fps w/a 55 gr Nosler BT out of my .243. I worked up the load w/Win760 when it was about 50 degrees outside. Chronoed right @ 4000 fps. Last spring (yes I was still hung up on light, fast bullets only a year ago, shows you what hanging around here can do for you!!) Lerch and I were out shooting on the first 90 + degree day of the year. I was noticing a very heavy bolt lift and the primer flow was way more than I had ever seen it in this rifle. I pulled out the chrono and shot a 5 shot group over it. It cut a nice group just under .5" and averaged just over 4200 fps!!! Needless to say, I decided not to shoot anymore that day.

****, I must be bored. Baseball game I was going to watch got rained out. I think I've spent all night on this board!!!

HA HA

What about that one Jack@$$ that told us he blew a deer completely in half at 600yds!!!!!!!!

This guy gave us a 10min speech over how the 30-378 was the greatest round ever produced. Cool, yea its fast and a serious powerhouse. He told us that he shoot a buck at 600yds and the deer was blown in half at the shoulder, 2 different halves hit the ground!!!! OKAY man it aint a howitzer!!!!

He told us this because we had a braked weatherby on the shelf then like his that he was admiring. After the story i already thought the guy was a dog knot but to top it off he is still talking BS while he goes to unscrew the brake, he twisted his hand around the ports and left about a ounce of skin in the ports!!! He looked at his now bleeding hand and put the rifle back on the shelf. I was laughing my butt of until i realized i had to clean this idiots skin out of the ports!!!!

there is one born every day!!!

steve

Not to sure about the standard 22-250 out runing the Swift but I have seen a 22-250 Ackley run the same velocities and have no pressure signs as the Swift did , noth barrels were Harts and both were 26" so that a pretty fair compairison. the case taper on the Swift is its drawback.

The 22-250 can outrun a 22-243 for one or two shots is the guy shooting its is dumb and lucky enough to get away with it. Probably only one shot per case and you'll have to beat the bolt open and back.

I like the guys that shoot deer at 800-1000 yds with a 30-06 and a $39 tasco scope , you ask what they site in for and they'll give you " 2" high at 100yds" then you ask how far over the back they help and they say "just about a foot"
most of these jackoffs coulden't tell you if a deer was at 400yds or 1400yds.

or........the guy who told me that he kills groundhogs with his 25-06 @ 1,000yds+ "with regularity". Knowing how difficult it is to laser range a groundhog at that range, I asked him what type of rangefinder he was using. Want to guess what his response was +-+-+-+-+-+ you guessed it, he didn't use one. What a butthead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD Jones,

I must have met the cousin of the guy you mentioned. With his 300Wby sighted in @ 200yds he took a shot at a Montana elk @ 800yds. He did, however, have to hold the crosshair at the top of its back to make the kill.

And as you probably anticipated, it was a perfect shot resulting in a DRT animal. BS runs deep in the gun shops.

I haveposted a few dumb gun guy stories but I guess the best one I have heard so far was last weekend at the local gun store. My wife and I went in to pick up my new encore rifle, First this ****** who has been in several times before when I have been helping out at the store and has been the subject of some of my posts looks at my wife and says I wouldnt mind drilling her for gold. Way to go arswipe no wonder women don't want to come in the gun stores. So any way He's talking up a storm and there are a couple of kids looking at shotguns and he buts in and proceeds to tell the kid that 870 pumps arn't reliable and anybody who buys one is wasting his money as they jam consantly then he tells the kid that quote" the 3.5 " 12 Gauge has a much higher BC than the 2 3/4 shell" and that he was "putting Canada geese down at 150 yards" So I asked him oh what shells were you using and He replies oh some lead shot 00 I loaded up" Another guy who is friends with this guy told me once that "the reason the military came up with mildots was because the 308win drops 4 feet at 360 yards than rises 3.5 feet at 450 yards due to harmonic instability of the 30 cal fmj bullets" I am starting to think the goverment should test peoples IQ before letting them have firearms licenses.

I thought of another one, We were at the range last summer messing about and this twit starts telling us that his handloads for his 280 were so fast 4000 fps+ that the last deer he shot was burned inside and smoking when he got to it. I said did you shoot it in the lungs, and are you sure it wasnt steam he said no I ain 't stupid. Then I said how far, he said 450 yards. Now the other thing is this guys smokes like a chimmeny is at least 250 pounds over weight and it would take him 4 hrs to walk that far in the hills by that time the darn deer would of been frozen anyway LOL

My favorties are the guys selling the guns trying to pump that smelly goo on me. I would have to say Gander Mt followed by Bass Pro and Academy are the top of the list. You can hear how you need a 300 WM to kill deer in S Texas because the senderos can extend several miles. The latest expert I conversed with shoots a 300 WM with 150 gr bullets at just over 3500 fps in his Sendero. He knows they go that fast because his buddy's reloading book says they will go almost 3400 fps and everybody knows you can't duplicate how hot factory loads are. His rifle is sighted in an inch high at 100 yards because that is all he needs with the big objective on his Simmons 44mag scope to shoot to the horizon. He had asked me to bring him back a target from the 300 RSAUM Sendero I traded for at that store.
391612.JPG

That is a picture of the group I gave him. It is a picture of the last 10 shots I fired while breaking the rifle in. I was told his rifle would do a little better than that at 350 yards, but he wanted a copy to show his buddies how small a group a RP factory Sendero will shoot. I wanted to ask him why he couldn't show his buddies a target he shot since his was better, but he doesn't shoot paper anymore. He knows where his rifle shoots so he doesn't have to practice with it anymore.

Who wants to run down to Gander Mt. with me and talk with their experts? Don't forget to bring your waders, it runs too deep for my boots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It seems that it is time to refresh some memories and fill in the newbies on the origin of my signature line. The story follows...

It was said to me while I was working at Gart sports in the hunting and fishing department. The man insisted that it was 800 yards and that he simply placed the stadia line on the back of the deer. When I showed him the printed ballistics in the remington ammo catalog for a 30-06 as dropping 20+ feet even with a 500 yard zero he told me that "paper aint hunting" and "a 270 shoots flatter than an 06 anyway".

The grossly obese man said this all while trying not to breathe hard from his strenuous walk to the back of the store. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It is my estimation that he couldn't hit a truck wheel at 100 yards without oxygen and a mono-pod and that the 800 yards was measured as he drove off the back of the hill he was parked on and went around to the back of the hill (100 yards away) that the deer was dead on.

"And thats the way it is." Walter Cronkite.

[ QUOTE ]
He proceeds to tell me, those loads in the manual dont mean anything, you can go over by 1-2-3 grains. He was claiming to get 4500 fps with a 58g vmax out of a 243, no cronograph.

[/ QUOTE ]

bsmeter.gif

Rem, 2 things!

1 Apparently his eyes are calibrated so he does not need a chrono.

2 Stay away from him when he fired that thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yessir a crony and a good range finder have let the air out of a lot of guys/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Now if you want to hear the best BS of all bring up the BMG,stand back and try not to fall down laughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Was talking prairie dogs the other day with a dude that claimed he shot dogs last weekend with an ex military sniper that was blowing them to pieces over 1000y consistantly.When I asked him how he got the spotter tracer that consistant he pules out a case from his pocket and says he was shooting regular ball ammo.The headstamp was Yugo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifI think I hurt his feelings when I fell againt the wall laughing.

The gunshop I hang out at seems to attract the same crowd. One of my favorites was a guy who walked in and asked to see an M1 carbine. He raved about how great a caliber the 30-30 that it shot was. The owner stepped in and quietly told the guy it was not a 30-30 but a 30 cal. The guy shot back loudly- Young man, I'll have you know I carried this here rifle for 3 years of my life and I know it's a 30-30. The owner backed away, grabbed a box of 30-30 and handed the ammo and rifle to the guy, saying if you can chamber a round in that gun you can have it. free. the guy looked at the bullet, pulled the mag, looked at the mag, looked at the bullet, sat everything down on the counter and walked straight out the door. That was our entertainment for the day. It's so much more fun when they realize they are an idiot.

LMAO!!!

I will say one of my first encounters with my dad and getting into reloading involved the mighty 30 carbine. The owner of the shop was a Korean and Vietnam vet. He always had a 45 Colt cocked and locked in his belt, a Mossberg pump by the register and an AR-15 by his stool in the back. He reloaded his carbine with military surplus powder directly out of a keg. He simply dipped primed cases in the powder, brushed off the excess with his finger and seated the 100 or 110 gr Speer half-jacket bullets. He reloaded .223 the same way for his other toy. I always thought he was crazy as a kid. Surely his loads were erratic, but he was shooting them out of a 30 carbine with who knows how many rounds through it. He had a short-range shooting range under his store, maybe 25 yards. I am sure he got bored and shot daily down there as he was ALWAYS loading up rounds for the 30 carbine every time I can remember entering his shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts