Gotta brag a little, proud Dad moment

You just hosed yourself. Now you'll be be buying guns for the kids, and ammo, and scopes. Your fun budget just went to 50%. Then that other youngin will have to out do older brother and your budget drops to 25%. Ask me how I know. Lol. Good job! Its special when they share your passion for something. Kids are the best!

We have been discussing building him one, hes excited about it. I'm thinking a 22 creedmoor or a 224 Valkyrie bolt gun. The Valkyrie would give longer barrel life and less recoil, might be the ticket! Or may just set him up with a good .223 for now
You and I are at the same point, my 9yr old connected on steel with my 6.5 Creedmoor a little over a month ago and still talks about it non-stop.

Here's my experience/work so far on getting a rifle set up for mine:
I found a Manners MCS-CS with an adjustable cheek riser on Snipers Hide, it's the absolute perfect youth stock, and now deciding on caliber; 22 Creedmoor is very high on the list.

My main issue (dont know if you've had a similar one with yours) is that anything with a barrel longer than 16" is pretty much going to have to be shot off a rest until he gets bigger. The Creedmoors (22, 6, and 6.5) all seem to perform better than you would expect in a 16-18" barrel, but I'm also thinking of just going 308win and then downloading it until he grows into it. Other idea I have been batting around is doing a Rem-age so that we could swap the barrel to something more powerful as he grows into it.

Either way, congrats to your little man, he's never going to forget this moment.

You and I are at the same point, my 9yr old connected on steel with my 6.5 Creedmoor a little over a month ago and still talks about it non-stop.

Here's my experience/work so far on getting a rifle set up for mine:
I found a Manners MCS-CS with an adjustable cheek riser on Snipers Hide, it's the absolute perfect youth stock, and now deciding on caliber; 22 Creedmoor is very high on the list.

My main issue (dont know if you've had a similar one with yours) is that anything with a barrel longer than 16" is pretty much going to have to be shot off a rest until he gets bigger. The Creedmoors (22, 6, and 6.5) all seem to perform better than you would expect in a 16-18" barrel, but I'm also thinking of just going 308win and then downloading it until he grows into it. Other idea I have been batting around is doing a Rem-age so that we could swap the barrel to something more powerful as he grows into it.

Either way, congrats to your little man, he's never going to forget this moment.

The manners compact is the first stock I thought of and would like to go that route I think. And agree a nice short 18" or so would be ideal. Time to sell some stuff haha

My father in law and I were out shooting my 6mm creedmoor a little today, getting some 700 yard practice in and was just finishing up when my oldest boy Blake asked to look through the scope. He shoots his .22 a bunch and is getting real good at killing golfers. He got behind the rifle prone and quickly found the steel plate at 350 yards. I asked him if he could reach the trigger and told him to dry fire on target. All looked good so I asked him if he wanted to shoot one and of course he did! I loaded a round for him, put it on safe and when he said he was ready and on target I flipped the safety off and....View attachment 195170
When he heard the impact on the plate he went nuts! He's 6 and off to a good start. He will be out shooting me very soon I think
Great shooting young man! So great to see this way of life still being taught to the next generation.

My father in law and I were out shooting my 6mm creedmoor a little today, getting some 700 yard practice in and was just finishing up when my oldest boy Blake asked to look through the scope. He shoots his .22 a bunch and is getting real good at killing golfers. He got behind the rifle prone and quickly found the steel plate at 350 yards. I asked him if he could reach the trigger and told him to dry fire on target. All looked good so I asked him if he wanted to shoot one and of course he did! I loaded a round for him, put it on safe and when he said he was ready and on target I flipped the safety off and....View attachment 195170
When he heard the impact on the plate he went nuts! He's 6 and off to a good start. He will be out shooting me very soon I think
Doesn't get better than that, future hunting partner(s), and better yet, meat packers!

I'd go with a .223 REM and have him shoot the hell out of it. Setup with the 69 or 77smk, find a ball powder it likes and you'll be able to crank out quality ammo on a dillon to feed the monster you have created. Also, this is most definitely not a laser and he will get practice dialing and calling wind.

Sorry couldn't help it
C10C3826-841F-48CB-AFBD-676286BA5961.jpeg

Yeah, don't golfers shoot a birdy and occainional eagle? Just kidding! See if you can him a child size rifle or cut one down for him. You can always restock it when he out grows it.

Great for you dad ! You were probably as excited as your son

That is awesome, never miss the chances to brag on them. My little 6 year old will be 18!in July. Graduating from high school this week. I hate to say, but we aren't as close as we used to be, the rifle has given over to the shotgun( dang ducks), and all of his free time is spent with a cute little blond. Enjoy them while you can.
Great positive thread!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.