Goto powder for 7mm weatherby??

fisherman983

Trying to load fir a buddy's 7mm weatherby in a weatherby rifle. Having some serious trouble getting it to shoot.

Using the 150 eld-x and retumbo on a suggestion and only got 2640 fps.. thats way way too slow.
Bergers wouldn't shoot and I wanna stick with 150 eld-x.

Thinking of trying R22 or imr 7828.
What do u guys think I should try?

I would look at RL 26 or 23. RL 23 is more temp stable and should get you to 3000fps w/ 24" barrel. RL 26 even more. I use it in my 7RM w/ good results.

Trying to load fir a buddy's 7mm weatherby in a weatherby rifle. Having some serious trouble getting it to shoot.

Using the 150 eld-x and retumbo on a suggestion and only got 2640 fps.. thats way way too slow.

I have a buddy with the same gun H4831sc gets 3080fps w/150's

Not really a surprise there... Weatherby cartridges are still using the same outdated horrible design with tons of freebore in it. Back in the 1940's (when they were designed) Roy added in WAY too much freebore to keep chamber pressures down. The reason is, because back then, the only way to get more velocity was to stuff more powder behind a bullet. Now days, thanks to technology, we have different and better powder options that can do the same, without the need for freebore, or stuffing crap-loads of powder behind a bullet to achieve the same results.

Your best bet would be to neck-size his brass (once it's been fired), then seat the bullets to somewhere between factory depth, and then work up a load using either IMR 7828 or Norma MRP.

MRP is what Norma uses to load for factory Weatherby ammo from .257 Wby up to .300 Wby.

As I stated on another thread, Norma MRP works great in mine. I use the 145 Barnes LRX and with a max load I get 3327 ft/sec and good accuracy. I began at max magazine OAL and reduced from there till I got the accuracy I was after. I tried RL-26, Retumbo, IMR 7828, and other slow burners and while they were good none done what MRP could do in mine.
As far as bullets go don't get stuck on one bullet. Regardless what you may do some rifles just don't shoot certain bullets.

I use 50 gr of IMR4350 for my weatherby 7mm rem mag when pushing a 150 gr Hornady FMJBT. Very consistent groups out to 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.