Got wind busted yesterday

Blancoalex

Yesterday got busted by not checking the wind correctly. Going by pic which shows my simple wind string which is still and just hanging straight down. I was at heavy brush ground stand and did not take into account evening cooling going downhill even thought we are only taking a 6ft slope between me and pig. There was still perdominat calm to me West wind that had my my scent going straight to the pig. I watched the pig just show up from heavy cover and as soon as it hit my scent it turned and ran. It clearly snort grunted several times when leaving telling me you goofed !!! Lesson learned!!

Attachments

• 20201205_162921.jpg
    20201205_162921.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 125
Even when you pay close attention to the wind you can not control where the pigs will came from! I have had the perfect plan only to have them to show up in the worst direction possible. Other times you think " I am busted" and they don't seem to care! Just keep at it, it will all come together!

Thanks for the tips. I learned and will be after them!! A West or even a due East wind are not common for us. So 90 % of time I have the advantage :) !

I deer hunt in a draw with my stands close to the creek. I have learned over the years that it is better not to hunt on any day that is more than 10mph wind or variable changing swirling wind. Better to leave them unspooked and try them on a day when the wind is near calm or it is cold enough to carry scent upwards instead of across.

I deer hunt in a draw with my stands close to the creek. I have learned over the years that it is better not to hunt on any day that is more than 10mph wind or variable changing swirling wind. Better to leave them unspooked and try them on a day when the wind is near calm or it is cold enough to carry scent upwards instead of across.
Got lucky this one didn't smell me. He was bedded down within 60 yards of my stand. Killed him on my way back to the truck with a Crossbow at about 20 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20201113_142542428.jpg
    IMG_20201113_142542428.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20201113_142526094.jpg
    IMG_20201113_142526094.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.